Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rancho San Antonio

 
 
Rancho San Antonio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
1. Rancho San Antonio Marker
Inscription. Governor Pablo de Solá, last Spanish Governor of California, awarded the San Antonio Grant to Don Luis Maria Peralta on August 13, 1820, in recognition of forty years of service. From this point northward the Grant embraced over 43,000 acres. Now occupied by the cities of San Leandro, Oakland, Alameda, Emeryville, Piedmont, Berkeley, and Albany.
 
Erected 1970 by State Department of Parks and Recreation, City of San Leandro, Club Iberico Espaňol, Sociedad de Agustina de Aragon, and Portuguese Union-State of California. (Marker Number 246.)
 
Location. 37° 43.63′ N, 122° 9.475′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from East 14th Street (California Route 185) near Toler Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at the City of San Leandro - Root Park. Marker is in this post office area: San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (here, next to this marker); The Little Brown Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Leandro Courthouse Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); County Courthouse
Rancho San Antonio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
2. Rancho San Antonio Marker
This marker is the center marker. On the left is a de Anza Expedition Trail marker and on the right are dedication plaques commemorating a de Anza re-inactment done on April 1, 1976.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Best Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casa Peralta (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in San Leandro.
 
Regarding Rancho San Antonio. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 246 on December 18, 1936.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Rancho San Antonio. The 44,800-acre Spanish land grant was made to Sergeant Luis Maria Peralta (1759-1851) by the last Spanish governor, Don Pablo Vicente de Sol in 1820 in recognition of his forty years of military service to the Spanish King. Although he never lived there himself, his four sons built homes and managed the large rancho. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
City of San Leandro - Root Park image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
3. City of San Leandro - Root Park
Marker is mounted on the back of this wall.
Rancho San Antonio image. Click for full size.
Wikipedia
4. Rancho San Antonio
Map of section of Rancho San Antonio
Luis Maria Peralta Adobe - San José. image. Click for more information.
By Mathew H. Kohnen
5. Luis Maria Peralta Adobe - San José.
Luís Peralta never lived on his Rancho but chose instead to reside at his adobe in the Pueblo of San José.
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   5. submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016.
Paid Advertisement