Inscription. After evacuating Petersburg and Richmond on 2-3 Apr. 1865, Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia retreated west to Amelia Court House to obtain supplies and then turn south to North Carolina. On 6 Apr., however, when Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's Union cavalry blocked his escape route on the Richmond and Danville R.R., Lee led his army west toward Farmville. Near here Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, commander of the Army of the Potomac, learned of Lee's new course. He ordered his army to pursue on parallel roads and that evening defeated Lee in the Battle of Sayler's Creek.
By Laura Troy, July 23, 2008
|1. Lee' Retreat Marker|
Erected 1999 by Department Of Historic Resources. (Marker Number M 13.)
Location. 37° 18.673′ N, 78° 4.157′ W. Marker is in Jetersville, Virginia, in Amelia County. Marker is on Patrick Henry Highway (U.S. 360) west of Mt Zion Road (County Route 639), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jetersville VA 23083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. A different marker also named Lee's Retreat (here, next to this marker); Jetersville (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Lee's Retreat (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Lee's Retreat (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Lee's Retreat (approx. 2 miles away); Amelia Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Amelia Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); Nottoway County / Amelia County (approx. 4.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jetersville.
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
|2. Lee's Retreat Markers on Patrick Henry Highway|
Regarding Lee's Retreat. This marker replaces a previous M-13 which read Near here, April 6, 1865, Meade, who was advancing northward on Amelia Courthouse, learned that Lee had turned westward. Meade sent the Second Corps on the Deatonsville Road, the Fifth Corps on the Paineville Road, and the Sixth Corps on a parallel route. The old marker stood about 5.3 miles southwest of Amelia Courthouse.
Also see . . . Lee's Retreat. Map and tour guide to key locations along the retreat route. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 663 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Area photo of marker and surroundings. •
Photos of the railroad in this area. • Can you help?
|Recommend or Share This Page. |