HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Washington Navy Yard in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Washington Navy Yard Chapel
 
"Chapel" Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, June 2008
1. "Chapel"
 
Inscription. This building was originally constructed as the pneumatic power plant for the forge shop in 1901. In 1962 the last gun shop closed down and the Yard began its transition from an industrial facility to an administrative and ceremonial headquarters for the Navy. In 1972 work began on the forge shop with volunteers provided by the Navy's Self-Help Program to convert the power plant into a chapel. In 1973 the Navy Yard Chapel was completed without destroying the building's industrial character. The renovation kept the existing exposed beams and roof deck, returned walls back to their original bare red brick color, used natural finish furnishings and replaced the floor with gray slate. The ninety-foot landscaped brick plaza was also part of the nenovation.
 
Erected 1974 by Naval District Washington.
 
Location. 38° 52.373′ N, 76° 59.778′ W. Marker is in Washington Navy Yard, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Sicard Street, SE 0 miles east of Patterson Avenue, SE, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is near the east entrance of the Chapel (Building 106). Marker is in this post office area: Washington Navy Yard DC 20374, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
 
Washington Navy Yard Chapel Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, June 08
2. Washington Navy Yard Chapel
Note dedication marker on the wall to the right of the red door and informational marker in the plaza flower bed, lower right.
 
. Willard Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Navy Gun Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank W. Crilley Building (within shouting distance of this marker); National Museum of the U.S. Navy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marine Railway - Experimental Model Basin (about 500 feet away); U.S. Experimental Model Basin (about 500 feet away); "4-in. 40 caliber rifles" (about 500 feet away); The Leg of Colonel Ulric Dahlgren (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington Navy Yard.
 
More about this marker. A photo on the marker shows President Hoover on his way to inspect the USS Constitution tied up at the Navy Yard in 1931. The building in the background is now the Navy Yard Chapel.
 
Washington Navy Yard Chapel Dedication Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, June 08
3. Washington Navy Yard Chapel Dedication Plaque
Dedicated to the glory of God by
Adm. Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr. USN; Chief of Naval Operations.
The Hon. J. William Middendorf; Under Secretary of the Navy.
RAdm. Francis L. Garrett, ChC, USN; Chief of Chaplains.
RAdm. Arthur C. Esch, USN; Commandant, NDW.
Capt. Samuel Sobel, ChC, USN; Staff Chaplain, Hdqtrs, USMC.
Capt. James J. Kileen, ChC, USN; Director, Chaplains Division.
Capt. John F. Dobson, CEC, USN; Public Works Officer, NDW.
Capt. David C. Simmons, ChC, USN; District Chaplain, NDW.
Cdr. Norman J. Stanhope, ChC, USN; Protestant Chaplain, NDW.
LCdr. Jerome R. Turner, ChC, USN; Catholic Chaplain, NDW.
This 1901 building was redesigned as a chapel. Construction was completed by volunteers from NDW, membeers of RMCB-23, with special recognition to:
Ltjg. Joseph J. Garvey, CEC, USNR; Public Works Department, NDW.
Mr. Kenneth E. Murray; Chesapeake Division, NFEC.
BUCS Carleton J. Bittinger, USNR-R; Project Supervisor.
CE1 Charles Janiszewski, USNR-R; Assistant Supervisor.
 
 
Washington Navy Yard Chapel, viewed from west Photo, Click for full size
By Richard E. Miller, August 12, 2008
4. Washington Navy Yard Chapel, viewed from west
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,746 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 238 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.