Inscription. Otherwise known as Buzzard Roost. This natural gateway through Rock Face Ridge, was heavily fortified by Confederate forces at Dalton, after their
retreat from Missionary Ridge.
By David Seibert, March 28, 2004
|1. Mill Creek Gap Marker|
February 25, 1864, the Federal 14th A.C., Dept. of the Cumberland, moving by Tunnel Hill, attempted to seize the gap, but were driven back by Stewart’s &
Breckinridge’s divs. At the same time, the gap was assailed from Crow Valley, E. of Rocky Face, by Cruft’s & Baird’s divs., which was repulsed by Hindman’s A.C.
These Federal moves were prompted by rumors that Johnston’s command had reinforced Polk, facing Sherman’s forces at Meridian, Miss.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-13.)
Location. 34° 48.329′ N, 85° 1.394′ W. Marker is near Rocky Face, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is on Old US 41 0.1 miles east of Rocky Face Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at a dead end on Old 41. A former park was closed and Old 41 no longer crosses Mill Creek; the road and bridge have been removed. Maps do not reflect this missing section of the road. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Face GA 30740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Confederate Defense of Mill Creek Gap (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); The Flooded Gap (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mill Creek Gap (approx. 0.7 miles away); Atlanta Campaign (approx. 0.7 miles away); George Disney's Grave (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stevenson's Line (approx. 2 miles away); Site: Ault's Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Excavation (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rocky Face.
More about this marker. This marker was moved from its original inaccessible location on the railroad near Rocky Face Railroad Street to its present location. With that move it was believed lost, and a new almost identical marker was ordered and installed at the State Police Headquarters on US 41.
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |