Inscription. On the morning of March 2nd, 1779, the British Command of Lieut.-Col. Prevost reached the west bank of the creek here after an all night march from Hudson's Ferry. The bridge had been destroyed by Col. Leonard Marbury's Dragons guarding the rear of Gen. Ashe's troops bivouacked at Freeman-Miller Bridge 15 miles south.
By David Seibert, August 16, 2005
|1. British Army Crossing Marker|
Infantry and horse forded the stream, engaged and defeated Marbury's Dragons, capturing some while others escaped over Burton's Ferry. Marbury's message to Ashe was intercepted. Prevost's troops and artillery crossed on pontoons before day of the 3rd, and arrived at the surprised Ashe's rear by 3:00 P.M.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 56.014′ N, 81° 39.005′ W. Marker is in Millhaven, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Millhaven Road and Gin House Road, on the right when traveling south on Millhaven Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Paris' Mill (here, next to this marker); Old Quaker Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); 1827 Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 7.5 miles away); John Abbot (approx. 7.5 miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 7.5 miles away).
By Craig Swain
|2. Paris' Mill and British Army Crossing Markers|
|This photo, taken in the 1990s shows an older, weathered version of the British Army Crossing marker.|
Also see . . . Battle of Brier Creek. The crossing was part of a campaign which culminated in the battle of Brier Creek on March 3. (Submitted on September 11, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 792 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on September 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |