Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The rail line was chartered in 1847 as the Alexandria and Harper's Ferry Railroad. It was reorganized in 1853 as the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire, but by the outbreak of the Civil War in 1860 had been constructed only from Alexandria to Leesburg. Reorganized yet again in 1870 as the Washington and Ohio Railroad, the rail line expanded westward. In 1911, it was renamed the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad.
For almost 60 years, the Depot was the gateway of commerce in Loudoun County. It operated as a freight depot until the rail line was abandoned in 1968. It was moved the two blocks to Market Station in 1984.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 6.775′ N, 77° 33.766′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrison Street and Loudoun Street, on the right when traveling south on Harrison Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Harrison Street SE, Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Osterburg Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); McKimmey's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Dairy Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Stationmaster's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Log House (within shouting distance of this marker); Norman-Harding Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tolbert Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dodona Manor (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Leesburg Freight Station.
2. The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com
3. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,974 times since then. Last updated on , by Bernard H. Berne of Arlington, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.