Inscription. Troup Factory, first cotton mill in Troup County, Georgia, was established in 1846 on Flat Shoals Creek by Robertson, Leslie & Co., of Meriwether County. Water powered carding, spinning and weaving, in a massive four-storied mill, produced famed quality sheetings and osnaburgs until 1899. In 1902, L. M. Park bought and removed the mill to LaGrange. Maxey Brooks (1796-1861), pioneer millwright, built an important gristmill on the site in 1829 and sold it to the company in 1846.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2004
|1. Troup Factory Marker|
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ocfuskee Historical Society.
Location. 32° 56.703′ N, 84° 55.405′ W. Marker is near LaGrange, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is on Hamilton Road (U.S. 27) 0.1 miles south of Smokey Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is at the US 27 bridge over Flat Shoals Creek, between Pine Mountain and Hilyer, GA. Marker is in this post office area: Lagrange GA 30241, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Noted Indian Trail (approx. 4.8 miles away); Chipley - Pine Mountain, Georgia (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Iron Horse (approx. 6.8 miles away); Bethany Baptist Church (approx. 7 miles away); Jones Crossroads (approx. 8.3 miles away); East Depot High School (approx. 8.4 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 8.6 miles away); Horace King Bridge Builder (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in LaGrange.
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
|2. Troup Factory Marker|
|Highway US 27 heads south from Flat Shoals Creek and the marker toward Pine Mountain|
Also see . . . Vintage Fabrics - Osnaburg the Great - from Fabrics.net. (Submitted on September 24, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 806 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on September 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |