Inscription. National Historic Site
By David Seibert, June 26, 2008
|1. Atlanta Campaign Marker|
May 7, 1864
Here, through Ringgold Gap,
a Federal advance position,
Sherman and his army
to begin the campaign
and the heart of the South.
The Confederate defense,
and ably executed, delayed
the march to the sea
and the eventual division
of the Confederacy
Erected by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 34° 54.575′ N, 85° 6.172′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Nashville Street (U.S. 41) 0.3 miles south of Peters Land, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. This marker is at the pavilion erected by the WPA in the 1930s, containing a picnic area and a bronze relief map of the Ringgold Gap area showing movements during the Civil War. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial (here, next to this marker); Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation Proposal (here, next to this marker); Ringgold Gap (a few steps from this marker); Ireland's - Third Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Western & Atlantic Depot (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Chickamauga (approx. half a mile away); Catoosa County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Actions At Ringgold (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ringgold.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,280 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |