Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mt. Pulaski in Logan County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mt. Pulaski Court House

 
 
Mt. Pulaski Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 5, 2008
1. Mt. Pulaski Court House Marker
Inscription. Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois. In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens raised $2,700 toward the construction of this building. Among those attending Court here were Abraham Lincoln, Stephen Douglas, Lyman Trumbull, and David Davis. In 1853 the county seat was moved by legislation to Lincoln. The Mt. Pulaski Court House was then used as a schoolhouse, later as the City Hall, and finally as the Post Office. The State of Illinois acquired the building in 1936.
 
Erected 1979 by Illinois Department of Conservation and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 0.543′ N, 89° 17.097′ W. Marker is in Mt. Pulaski, Illinois, in Logan County. Marker is on South Washington Street north of Cooke Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pulaski IL 62548, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Circuit Court Stop (a few steps
Mt. Pulaski Court House Building image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 5, 2008
2. Mt. Pulaski Court House Building
from this marker); Lincoln's Law Practice (a few steps from this marker); Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (within shouting distance of this marker); Bi-Plane - Train Race 1910 (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 9.7 miles away but has been reported missing); This Lot was Owned by Abraham Lincoln (approx. 10.3 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 10.3 miles away); Samuel C. Parks (approx. 10.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mt. Pulaski.
 
Also see . . .  Inside Mt. Pulaski Court House. A brief History, Many Photos, and other links. Well worth following all the links within this site. (Submitted on October 17, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable Places
 
Another View - - Mt. Pulaski Court House image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 5, 2008
3. Another View - - Mt. Pulaski Court House
Mt. Pulaski Town Bell image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 5, 2008
4. Mt. Pulaski Town Bell
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,132 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement