HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Aberdeen in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Spesutia Church
St. George’s Parish

— Episcopal —
 
Spesustia Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Spesustia Church Marker
 
Inscription. Founded in 1671 at Gravelly, where original wooden structure no longer stands (about 2 miles southeast, on Aberdeen Proving Ground). Parish moved here in 1718. Present church, erected in 1851, is third on this site. Brick Vestry House here dates from 1766. Early graves were moved from Gravelly.

The name Spesutia is derived from the Latin for Utie’s Hope, 17th century Manorial Grant to Colonel Nathaniel Utie.
 
Erected by Citizens of Harford County & Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 28.391′ N, 76° 12.24′ W. Marker is near Aberdeen, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Perryman Road and Chelsea Road, on the right on Perryman Road. Click for map. Marker is in the church parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Aberdeen MD 21001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Old Post Road: Spesutia P. E. Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Sophia’s Dairy (approx. 1.5 miles away); Colony Of Maryland (approx. 2.2 miles away); State Of Maryland (approx. 2.2 miles away); Aberdeen Proving Ground (approx. 3.2 miles away); “The Bush Declaration” (approx. 3.3 miles away); This Tablet (approx. 3.3 miles away); This is a Section of “The General’s Highway” (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Aberdeen.
 
St. George's Episcopal Church and Cemetery Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
2. St. George's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
 

 
Regarding Spesutia Church. “About 1649, Col. Utie came from Virginia to explore the upper bay region and find a place to settle. In 1658, Bearson’s Island, located a few hundred yards south of Havre de Grace, was granted to Nathaniel Utie. He changed the name to Spesutie, using the Latin Spes-Utie, meaning Utie’s Hope. The spelling was later changed to Spesutia as it is known today.” —quoted from Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,792 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 121 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.