Inscription. Built in 1751 by Peter Burr, cousin of Aaron Burr, on a grant of 480 acres from Lord Fairfax. The house is one of the state's oldest frame structures. It is a fine example of a mid-18th century Virginia family homestead which traces its origins to English yeoman home construction of the Elizabethan period. Sold in 1798 by Peter's son, the house was repurchased by the family in 1878.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 27, 2008
|1. Peter Burr House Marker|
Erected 1982 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Location. 39° 21.468′ N, 77° 51.693′ W. Marker is near Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on War Admiral Blvd. (West Virginia Route 9) 0.1 miles north of W. Burr Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on a side road paralleling new WV9. Marker is in this post office area: Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. The Greenback Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); General William Darke (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named General William Darke (approx. 1.9 miles away); Duffields Depot Raid (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Travelers' Rest" (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Bower (approx. 3.4 miles away); "Prato Rio" (approx. 4 miles away); Col. Drake (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Also see . . . The Peter Burr House Restoration. (Submitted on October 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,189 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |