HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Pendleton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Thomas Green Clemson
 
Thomas Green Clemson Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
1. Thomas Green Clemson Marker
 
Inscription.
The paved brick walk leads to the gravesite of Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University. He was a Scientist, Agriculturist, Statesman, and educators. His gift to South Carolina of an Institution for the promotion of education in the fields of agriculture and Engineering is an enduring gift to the State, the Nation, and the World.
 
Erected 1990.
 
Location. 34° 39.067′ N, 82° 46.633′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on East Queen Street. Click for map. Marker is inside the main gate on the west side of St. Paul's Episcopal Church located on East Queen Street, Pendleton, SC, to the right at the start of the brick pathway mentioned. Marker is in this post office area: Pendleton SC 29670, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clement Hoffman Stevens (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Thomas Green Clemson (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard Elliott Bee (within shouting distance of this marker); Printer John Miller (approx. mile away); African American School Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Health & Heritage Walking Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pendleton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hunter's Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Mill Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Farmers Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Thomas Green Clemson Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
2. Thomas Green Clemson Marker
 

 
Also see . . .
1. Thomas Green Clemson. Thomas Green Clemson, IV (July 1, 1807 – April 6, 1888) was an American politician and statesman, serving as an ambassador and the United States Superintendent of Agriculture. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Clemson University. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Fort Hill, Home of the Calhouns and Clemsons. Fort Hill was the home of John C. Calhoun, South Carolina's pre-eminent 19th century statesman, from 1825 until his death in 1850. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

4. The Will of Thomas Green Clemson. The document that holds the foundation for Clemson University. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

5. Thomas Green Clemson 1807-2007. Links on this page tell about the man and his lasting legacy to education. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

6. Thomas Green Clemson. Our University started out with one man and his dream for bettering educational opportunities for the state he came to call home. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

7. Niter and Mining Corps. The Niter and Mining Corps was a military unit within the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Path Leading from Clemson Marker to Grave Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
3. Path Leading from Clemson Marker to Grave
Bee/Stevens Monument is in the distant left.
 

8. St. Paul's Episcopal Church & Cemetery. This white clapboard church, locataed in the Pendleton Historic District, was built in 1822. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

9. University celebrates Founder's Day with different look at Thomas Green Clemson. Members of the Tiger Brotherhood, faculty, staff and friends of the university gathered Monday evening to commemorate the 122nd anniversary of the death of Thomas Green Clemson. (Submitted on October 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Brick Path from the Bee/Stevens Monument Looking West Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
4. Brick Path from the Bee/Stevens Monument Looking West
 
 
Brick Path Ending at the Clemson Plot Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
5. Brick Path Ending at the Clemson Plot
 
 
Thomas Green Clemson<br>Founder of Clemson University Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott
6. Thomas Green Clemson
Founder of Clemson University
 
 
Thomas Green Clemson Tombstone Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
7. Thomas Green Clemson Tombstone
Thomas Greene Clemson
1st Lieut Nitre & Mining Co
Confederate States Army
Jul 1 1807 Apr 6, 1888
 
 
Thomas Green Clemson Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
8. Thomas Green Clemson Monument
Hon. Thomas G. Clemson
The Founder of the
Clemson Agricultural
College of S.C.
Born July 1, 1807
Died April 8, 1888
 
 
Anna Calhoun Clemson Tombstone Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
9. Anna Calhoun Clemson Tombstone
Anna Calhoun Clemson
Last Surviving Child of
Hon. John C. Calhoun
and
Floride Calhoun
Born
February 13, 1817
Died
September 22, 1875
-----*-----
Believing this life to be one of probation
for an immortal existence hereafter and
governed in every act by a conscientious
sense of duty, she lived a model daughter,
wife, mother and friend. Her intelligence
and accomplishments made her an ornament
of every sphere in which she moved.
-----
Erected by her disconsolate husband
Thomas G. Clemson
 
 
John Calhoun Clemson Tombstone Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
10. John Calhoun Clemson Tombstone
Sacred to the Memory of
John Calhoun Clemson
Born
July 17, 1841
Died
August 10, 1871
Capt. C.S.A.
Noble, Patriotic, Brave.
On the other side of the river he has
joined the gallant band that fought
beneath the torid banner of the "Lost Cause."
 
 
Historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, November 27, 2008
11. Historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church
"...the Episcopalians were planning their church and from the beginning in 1819 met in the (old) Farmers Hall. In 1822, the congregation, named St. Paul's purchased the land now enclosed by the fence from the Circulating Library commissioners for $39. Additional land was purchased later." (Source: Pendleton Historic District: A Survey, Pendleton District Historical and Recreational Commission, page 64.)
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 906 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.