Inscription. Trice cemetery, the largest family burial round in Upson County, Georgia, was established by William and Jane Tamplin Trice whose house once stood 300 yards west of the cemetery. William (1789- 1858) and Jane (1794- 1856), both buried here, were among the earliest settlers of Upson County (created December 1824). They moved to Upson from Jones County, Georgia, circa 1823 when the area was still Pike County, formerly Monroe. the oldest marked grave, dated 1837, is that of their daughter, Milly Ann Trice Nelson. In 1857, James Trice, oldest son of William and Jane, commissioned the building of the rock wall surrounding the original cemetery. For this purpose he rented a slave, a skilled rock mason, from another planter. The date is carved into the southwest corner stone. In 1904 additional land was donated by John Reeves Roberts, son-in-law of Milly Ann Nelson, "...for the purpose of providing a burial ground for the relatives of James Trice and such others as may be allowed..." All those buried within
these walls are either descendants of William and Jane Trice, members of their allied families, or slaves owned by the family. Marble markers now replace the field stones which once marked the graves of the slaves. Trice Cemetery is maintained by
contributions to the Trice Cemetery Memorial Association.
By David Seibert, January 28, 2008
|1. Trice Cemetery Marker|
Erected 1989 by The Children of Lynwood and Clarice Abercrombie Bentley.
Location. 32° 53.71′ N, 84° 16.316′ W. Marker is near Thomaston, Georgia, in Upson County. Marker is at the intersection of Trice Road (County Route 199) and Trice Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling east on Trice Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thomaston GA 30286, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Confederate Dead (approx. 3.1 miles away); Upson County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Pettigrew-White-Stamps House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 4.5 miles away); Battle of Culloden (approx. 10.5 miles away); Slave Cemetery (approx. 10.5 miles away); Alfred Blalock, M.D. (approx. 10.6 miles away); Old Newnan (approx. 11.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Thomaston.
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 765 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on December 21, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |