Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
South Carolina's First Four-Year Church-Related College
Erskine College was founded in 1839 by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church as South Carolina's first four-year church-related college. The college grew out of an academy for men established in 1835 and seminary founded two years later at Due West.
In 1859 Due West Woman's College was founded and continued for 70 years until it was merged with Erskine in 1929.
Today Erskine's academic excellence as a liberal arts college continues with consistent ranking among the country's best small colleges. The campus, which is dominated by ancient oaks, is a blend of nineteenth and twentieth century architecture. The cultural center of the school is the modern Bowie Arts Center with its permanent and changing galleries.
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 19.917′ N, 82° 23.433′ W. Marker is in Due West, South Carolina, in Abbeville County. Marker is on Depot Street. Click for map. Marker is located northwest of the intersection of Depot and South Main Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Due West SC 29639, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles Abbeville County (here, next to this marker); Bryson College Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Moffatt Grier (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp-Walker Plaza (about 500 feet away); Rev. J.I. Bonner Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Due West (approx. 0.3 miles away); Angela Marlow Newton (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Donalds Grange No. 497 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Templeton-Drake Cabin ca. 1764 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Action at Pratt's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Due West.
Also see . . .
1. Erskine College. A Christian liberal arts college which is a part of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian tradition. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Erskine College. Erskine College is a four year, Christian liberal arts college located in Due West, South Carolina. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Erskine College-Due West Historic District. The Erskine College-Due West Historic District, located in the small town of Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina, consists of eighty-eight properties, which as a unit illustrate the development of the village and Erskine College (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Erskine dining hall was a gathering place. Students, faculty and alumni said Friday they lost more than a place to eat Thursday evening when Erskine College’s Moffatt Dining Hall burned. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Erskine College: Hard To Find, Harder To Leave. Erskine College could have spilled perfectly from the brush of Norman Rockwell onto the Upstate South Carolina soil. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Erskine Theological Seminary. Erskine Seminary is organically and historically related to Erskine College, a liberal arts college. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Erskine College / Due West Historic District
The Erskine College/Due West Historic District contains fourteen properties of particular architectural or historical significance and seventy-four supporting properties. The district is located in the small town of Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina, and centers around the Erskine College campus. About one-third of the buildings within the district boundaries are associated
Significance: The Erskine College/Due West Historic District, located in the small town of Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina, consists of eighty-eight properties which as a unit illustrate the development of the village and Erskine College from ca. 1840 to the present. included in the district are portions of the campus of Erskine College, the first four-year denominational college in South Carolina, which was founded in 1839 by the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the Due West Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, whose early congregation played a large role in the formation of the village and college. Also included in the district are a residential section, containing
Additional Information: The origin of the name Due West is unknown but it is probably that it is a corruption of the earlier names for the area: Dewises Corner, Devises Corner, Jewett's Corner, Dewitt's Corner, and Duet's Corner. The village took Due west from the Associate reformed Presbyterian Church of that name which had moved from Duet's Corner to a more central location in the present village by 1790. in 1846 the town was incorporated under the name Selma. But the name Due West had been associated with the settlement for so long that in 1856 the charter was revised and the name changed to Due West. Due West had a thriving business community in the late 1800s and early 1900s; however, the mobility of the twentieth century has resulted in the centralization of businesses in larger towns and cities nearby. Due West today has only a few commercial enterprises which offer basic necessities. It is very clear that the major employer and influence on the town of Due west is its college.
In 1836 the Synod of the ARP Church
In 1852 a group of ARP ministers and laymen founded the Due West Female College, later the Due West Woman's college. Privately operated until 1904, the college came under the control of the ARP church from that year until it merged with Erskine in 1927.
1. Nickles House, West Main Street (ca. 1886): Two-story, weatherboarded, Victorian farmhouse has boxed cornice with returns and decorative brackets. Hipped roof porch has wooden posts with brackets, spindle frieze, and turned balustrade. Porch pediment features spindle frieze with pedants and sawn and spindle tympanum.
23. Euphemian Literary Society Hall, Erskine College Quadrangle (1912): One-story, brick building on a raised foundation. Built in Neoclassical design. It features a large central pedimented portico supported by four fluted wooden ionic columns. The central double doors have an arched fanlight. the interior features a central meeting hall with sloping floor, high ceiling, and tall fluted pilasters.
25. Erskine Building, Erskine College Quadrangle (1892): Three-story, brick building with central pavilion and two wings. Notable features include two towers and central dome. The west tower has a doomed observatory. The east tower has an octagonal section containing the college clock and features elaborate brick work. Fenestration varies, but all windows have rounded arches. The northeast wall incorporates a section of a wall of the original building (1842) which burned in 1892.
26. Philomathean Literary Society Hall, Erskine College Quadrangle (1859): Two-story stuccoed building in the Italian Renaissance Revival Style. Thomas Veal of Columbia, S.C., was the architect for the building. Facade features a central pedimented pavilion with paired Corinthian pilasters at either side of a Palladian window. Single doorways, with round-headed windows above, are at either end of the central pavilion; colossal Corinthian pilasters are located at the corners of the building. Recessed balustrades are used for decoration.
29. Galloway House, West Main Street at Depot (1897): Two-story Victorian, weatherboarded house. Multiple gables feature decorative bargeboards. Front door is heavily carved and has multi-paned stained glass window. The interior
34. Due West Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (1925) and Cemetery: Two-story, brick building with gabled roof. Two-story pedimented portico had dentil cornice, cartouche with swags, and is supported by four granite Tuscan columns. Central islet steeple is square and had dentil course, louvers, balustrade, pilasters, and dome with an octagonal base.
35. Brownlee-Kennedy House, Church Street (ca. 1800): Two-story, rectangular, weatherboarded house with gable roof. Recessed, two-story porch is supported by six stuccoed pillars. Central single doorway has sidelights with a decorative surround and corner blocks. second story has a central, single entrance doorway with sidelights opening on to a small cantilever balcony with a decorative railing, modeled after the "Lindsay style." This house is believed to have been extensively altered in the mid 1800s giving it the style that it has today.
48. Sloan-Neel-McCain-Lesesne House, West Main Street (ca. 1840): Two-story weather boarded residence with a two-story pedimented portico supported by four large, square
52. Lindsay-Bell House, Abbeville Street (ca. 1845-1850): Two-story, square, weatherboarded residence built in the late 1840s by James Lindsay for his son. This house is the last of many houses known to have been built by James Lindsay, although other display the same style. The entrance was a wide, central, single door, mullioned sidelights, transom and fluted trim with corner blocks in a bill's-eye design. Second story has a balcony with decorative railing supported by curved wooden braces. The single doorway had sidelights and fluted trim with plain corner blocks. There are four stuccoed end chimneys.
52a. Student Cabin: Used ca. 1850-1890 as a dormitory. One-story, single room, rectangular building with a gable roof and one exterior end chimney. This is the last remaining of many student cabins which were used before the first dormitory was built. It was restored in the early 1970s and is presently used as a museum.
58. Bell-Mitchell House, Abbeville Street at Cleveland Street (1913): One and one-half-story bungalow with
85. Alumnae Memorial Hall, Woman's College Circle (1912): Two-story, Greek Revival style, brick building on a raised brick foundation. The truncated hipped roof has metal shingles. There is a two-story pedimented portico supported by four stout Doric columns. The entablature features triglyphs, metopes, and guttae. The central pavilion has three sets of double doors. The interior contains an auditorium with sloping roof and decorative ceiling.
88. Carnegie Hall Dormitory, Woman's College Circle (1906): Three-story, molded concrete block building with a hipped roof. Concrete molding varies with each story. Decorative features include a belt course between the first and second stories, concrete water table, and dentil course around cornice. One-story hipped roof porch is supported by Ionic columns on low piers. The interior features spacious hallways with open staircases, carved mantels, and Ionic columns.
115. Bonner-Burrows House, Hayne Street (1882): One-story, Victorian cottage with a gable roof. Three front gables have bargewoods, cross pendants, and rectangular louvered vents. The boxed cornice has returns and brackets. Flat
Other Properties Contributing to the Character of the District:
2. Ellis-Fleming House, West Main Street (ca. 1924): One-story, weatherboarded residence with cross-gable roof. Hipped roof porch is supported by wrought iron posts on brick piers.
4. Janette Crawford House, West Main Street (ca. 1924): One and one-half-story, weatherboarding bungalow. Front gable has pent roof, tripartite window, and wooden shingles. Windows are four-over-one. Two interior chimneys have corbeled caps.
5. McIlwaine-Ashley House, West Main Street (pre-1911): One-story residence with asphalt siding, two front gables. Hipped roof porch is supported by four Doric columns on low concrete piers.
6. Seawright House, West Main Street (ca. 1910): One-story, weatherboarded residence with gabled roof. Porch with attached gazebo is supported by tapered posts.
8. Haddon-David-Ferguson House, West Main Street (1907): Two-story, weatherboarded house with hipped roof. One-story, hipped roof porch supported by turned posts with brackets extends across facade and right side.
9. The Andrew May House, West Main Street (1908): Two-story rectangular house with asbestos shingle siding. Central portico has gabled roof with boxed cornice and returns and is supported by four posts
13. Clinkscales-Hagen-Pruitt House, Abbeville Street at West Main Street (1909): One-story, weatherboarded residence with high, hipped, metal roof. Front slope of roof has projecting gable with small, mullioned stained glass window. Hipped roof porch supported by nine turned columns extends across facade and right elevation. Fenestration is two-over-two.
15. Brownlee-Huntley House, Abbeville Street (ca. 1878): One-story, weatherboarded residence with shed roof porch supported by chamfered posts. Two front gables have boxed cornice with returns, sawn brackets, and rectangular louvered vents.
16. Due West Railroad Depot, Depot Street at Bamboolevard: One-story, rectangular building with gabled roof and two four-paneled doorways in gable end facade. Shed roof across facade is supported by plain wooden graces. Fenestration (two-over-two) varies to each side. Building is currently used for storage. Andrew May from Donalds, South Carolina, built the depot in 1907-1908.
17. Men's Infirmary, Erskine College Campus (ca. 1920): Small, one-story, rectangular, weatherboarded building with hipped metal roof. Front porch us supported by wood posts with pierced panels and has a simple balustrade. Presently used as the Alpha Psi Omega Society House.
18. Alumni Gymnasium, Erskine College
20. Erskine College Campus: Vacant lot.
(Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted November 5, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,269 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 20. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 21, 22, 23. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 24, 25, 26. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 27. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 28. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.