Inscription. The oldest Methodist Church west of the Oconee River, Concord, first called Victory, was established in 1810, when William B. Pritchard and Thomas Johnston built a little log church on the Stage Coach Line from Milledgeville to Athens, on land donated by Thomas Johnston. The first pastor was Drury Powell. The first presiding elder was Dr. Lovick Pierce, the father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The named was changed to Concord after 1812.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
|1. Concord Methodist Church Marker|
A very strong church in its early days, Concord's membership included the Harrison, Arnold, Baugh, White, Wilson, and many other families.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 117-8.)
Location. 33° 16.769′ N, 83° 18.198′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is on Pea Ridge Road one mile south of Crooked Creek Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Mrs. Beall's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hillsborough (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Town Well Shelter (approx. 5.7 miles away); Uncle Remus Museum (approx. 5.7 miles away); Rockville School (approx. 5.9 miles away); Branch Bank of the State of Georgia at Eatonton (approx. 5.9 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 5.9 miles away); Putnam County Veterans Monument (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eatonton.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 680 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |