Easley in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Golden Creek Mill
The original mill on Golden Creek was built across the creek from the present day Golden Creek Mill by William O'Dell in 1815. The ruins are still visible today. In a deed dated 1836, the property was transferred to John Arial and listed as consisting of 50 acres and a corn mill. Arial added a cotton gin and press. Later, owner George Hendricks added an ice plant. In 1985, Joyce and Leroy Stewart purchased the land across the creek from the original site and built the present replica of the earlier mill. Two other restored mills are located nearby, north of Pickens: The Hagood Mill and the Meece Mill.
Grinding Corn at Golden Creek Mill
The Stewarts assembled parts from around the country and purchased the grindstones in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1987. Mr. Stewart and his uncle constructed the millrace and had a 14-foot metal waterwheel constructed. The mill began grinding corn in 1990. The Stewarts sell the corn meal and other related items in their gift shop.
Hagood Mill is a restored and fully operational mill located north of Pickens Highway 178 and is operated by the Pickens County Museum of Art and History.
Meece Mill, also located north of Pickens near Hagood, is owned by Julian and Elsie Yoder. While not operational, the mill has been
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 34° 49.5′ N, 82° 38.65′ W. Marker is in Easley, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Enon Church Road 0 miles south of Dearborn Lane, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Enon Church Road, Easley SC 29640, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John C. Calhoun Memorial Highway (approx. 2.1 miles away); Julien D. Wyatt (approx. 2.2 miles away); Easley Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Captain Kimberly Hampton (approx. 2.3 miles away); Easley, South Carolina (approx. 2.3 miles away); Colonel Robert Elliott Holcombe (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pickensville (approx. 2.5 miles away); Veterans Service Station (approx. 3.6 miles away); World War Veterans Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Easley.
Also see . . . Golden Creek Mill. Golden Creek Mill was (Submitted on January 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Golden Creek Mill
Joseph Woodal originally built Golden Creek Mill in 1825. It was a wonderful example of the 19th century mills that provided cornmeal, grits and flour.
By the time the Civil War broke out in 1861, the establishment of a neighborhood, including this mill, known as O'Dell's, and a church known as Enon were well underway.
The mill on Golden Creek operated for over 110 years. The water from Golden Creek was the only source of power ever used. Later John Arial added a cotton gin and cotton press during his years of ownership.
George Hendricks became owner, and opened an ice plant … Many people still remember the early ice cream made with the ice. In 1985, Joyce and Leroy Stewart purchased land across the creek adjacent to the old mill site, and built a replica of the earlier mill.
The mill is an official site along the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor. To get to the mill from Pickens - take Hwy. 8 into Easley, turn right onto Highland Road (Hot Spot Convenience Store). Go about 1.6 miles to Enon Church Road. Turn left on Enon Church Road. Look for the Golden
— Submitted January 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,022 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.