Greenwood in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenwood County Confederate Monument
and their names bright names without stain for us, -
the glory they won shall not wain for us.
In legend and lay
Our heroes in gray
Shall forever live over again for us.
The Ladies Memorial Association
of Greenwood County
How sleep the brave who sink to rest by all their country's wishes blest.
Erected 1903 by Ladies Memorial Association of Greenwood County.
Location. 34° 11.25′ N, 82° 9.746′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is on Monument Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To The People of Greenwood County (within shouting distance of this marker); In God We Trust (within shouting distance of this marker); Municipal Fountain (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Textile Workers Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshal Ferdinand Foch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenwood.
1. About the Monument
The statue was carved in Italy of Italian marble. The fluted column was one of three in the state which were originally intended to be used in the new State House. During the occupation of Columbia in February 1895, federal troops damaged these three columns while they lay on the State House grounds. In 1902, Greenwood legislators arranged for the passage of a special act
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 957 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.