Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1975 by This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 880 on March 14, 1975. (Marker Number 880.)
Location. 38° 3.012′ N, 122° 9.538′ W. Marker is in Benicia, California, in Solano County. Click for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Benicia Capitol State Historic Park. The house is located next door at 137 West G Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 135 West G Street, Benicia CA 94510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founders of Benicia (a few steps from this marker); Robert Semple (a few steps from this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); Antonio M. De LaGuerra 1825 – Ď81 (a few steps from this marker); The Bohn Building Solano Hotel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Masonic Hall Built in California (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Benicia.
Regarding Fischer-Hanlon House. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 880 on March 14, 1975 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 1975.
Also see . . . The Fischer-Hanlon House. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. From “Camel Tracks”, the Benicia Historical Museumís Newsletter Oct/Nov 2007
Museum Curator Beverly Phelan wrote for the “Curatorís Corner”:
“One of the notable homes in Benicia is the Fischer-Hanlon House next to the State Capitol Building. This former Gold Rush era hotel was built in 1848. It was purchased by Joseph Fischer in 1858 and then moved from First Street to its present location on East G. The front of the hotel was
the lot and the former Spanish style balcony was enclosed and a kitchen area was built underneath the balcony. A New England style balcony was built on the former back of the home. Joseph Fischer was born in Switzerland in 1823. He arrived in the United States in 1844 and worked on a farm on Staten Island, New York. By 1849, he arrived in Sacramento. In 1850, he partnered with Lawrence Graber and bought a twelve by fifty foot lot fronting East Second Street between B and C Streets. They were butchers and built their shop at this location. He later had a new partner and moved his business to a better location on the corner of First and East E Streets. Joseph met his wife through Captain Edward Von Pfister who had his merchandise business in the adobe at the end of First Street in Benicia. His wife, Mary Hall Sheridan, had a visit from her sister Catherine. The Von Pfisters introduced Catherine to Joseph Fischer and she never went back home. They were married late in 1854. Joseph and his wife Catherine had three children: Elizabeth, Martha and Joseph. Elizabeth married John D. Hanlon of San Francisco in 1883 at St. Dominicís Church
in Benicia but lived in San Francisco for many years. With the passing of Joseph Fischer in 1884 and then Catherine in 1893 the house was left to the three children. Elizabeth and Joseph deeded the house to Martha.
collection. It has been on display in the Victorian living room. The Benicia Historical Society has put on loan to the Museum the Fisher-Hanlon silver serving pieces. Included in this beautiful collection is a water server, coffee pot, pitchers, silver utensils, candlesticks and more.”
— Submitted February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,417 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 11. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.