HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Mishawaka in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sisters of the Holy Cross
Civil War Nurses
 
Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Duane Hall, September 12, 2013
1. Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker
 
Inscription. 1861–1865. In response to Governor Morton’s call of October 1861, eighty Sisters of the Holy Cross under the leadership of Mother Angela served as military nurses. The Sisters became the forerunners of the Navy Nurse Corps in 1862 when they boarded the Red Rover, the Navy’s first hospital ship.
 
Erected 1965 by Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission. (Marker Number 71.1965.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 41° 42.458′ N, 86° 10.337′ W. Marker is in Mishawaka, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker is on Holy Cross Parkway south of East Douglas Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located next to the main driveway into the Mishawaka Campus of the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5215 Holy Cross Parkway, Mishawaka IN 46545, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation (here, next to this marker); Historic Cross Relocation (here, next to this marker); Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C. (a few steps from this marker); Normain Heights Subdivision (approx. 1.9 miles away); Michael A. Berticelli (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mishawaka.
 
Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Duane Hall, September 12, 2013
2. Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker
At entrance to the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center
 

 
More about this marker. This marker was previously located in nearby South Bend at the intersection of E. Madison Street and N. Notre Dame Avenue (41° 40.85′ N, 86° 14.313′ W). In 2009 St. Joseph Regional Medical Center relocated to Mishawaka, and the former medical center in South Bend was demolished to make room for the new St. Joseph High School. The marker was relocated to the Mishawaka campus of St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in September 2013. See the HMDB record for the Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation marker for more information on the marker's relocation from South Bend to Mishawaka.
 
Also see . . .
1. Photos and History of the "Red Rover" Hospital Ship::. (Submitted on September 24, 2013.)
2. IHB Review of Marker. The Indiana Historical Bureau completed the linked report reviewing the accuracy and relevancy of the marker. (Submitted on October 11, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
There are Four Markers at this Location Photo, Click for full size
By Duane Hall, September 12, 2013
3. There are Four Markers at this Location
St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in background
 
 
Former Location of the<br>Sisters of the Holy Cross, Civil War Nurses,<br>1861-1865 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By M. Bowyer, July 13, 2007
4. Former Location of the
Sisters of the Holy Cross, Civil War Nurses,
1861-1865 Marker
This photo shows the marker at its former location in South Bend prior to its re-painting.
 
 
Former Location of Marker in South Bend. Photo, Click for full size
By M. Bowyer, July 13, 2007
5. Former Location of Marker in South Bend.
The St Joseph Regional Medical Center was just beyond the marker.
 
 
Former Location of the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in South Bend Photo, Click for full size
By M. Bowyer, July 13, 2007
6. Former Location of the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in South Bend
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,346 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3. submitted on September 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   4, 5, 6. submitted on July 14, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 203 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.