Inscription. On June 2, 1864 pressure on right of Johnston’s line [CS] by 23rd A. C. [US] forced the rt. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] E. of the Dallas - Acworth road, enabling Schofield [US] to gain a position near the Foster House. Failing to get promised support from the 20th A. C. [US], Schofield was unable to pursue his advantage and night found Hardee’s forces still holding the rt. of the line.
By David Seibert, March 22, 2008
|1. James Foster House Marker|
This movement was in line with the Fed. drive to outflank Johnston and force his withdrawal E. to the R. R. Heavy rains began and continued until June 19.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-32.)
Location. 33° 59.908′ N, 84° 43.763′ W. Marker is in Acworth, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Burnt Hickory Road NW and County Line Road NW, on the right when traveling west on Burnt Hickory Road NW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Acworth GA 30101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Battle of Pickett's Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dallas – Acworth Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hood & Hardee Withdraw E. to R.R. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cross Roads Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site ~ Mason’s Bridge (approx. 2 miles away); Hardee's, Hood's & French's H’dq’rs. (approx. 2.4 miles away); Davis' Cross Roads (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Acworth.
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 672 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on March 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |