Near Dunbar in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick’s Parish
(1721) / (1834)
Prince Frederick’s Parish (1734). Within a few years the success of rice production and growth of Georgetown helped expand settlement inland and prompted the creation of a new parish. Prince Frederick’s Parish included this area when it was established in 1734. A new parish church for Prince George Winyah was built in Georgetown by 1747 and the sanctuary here served Prince Frederick’s Parish until a new parish church was built near the Pee Dee River in 1837.
Erected 1996 by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina. (Marker Number 22-41.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 33° 32.083′ N, 79° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dissenter Meeting House and Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House (approx. 5.5 miles away); Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow / China Grove Plantation (approx. 5.9 miles away); Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Black Mingo Creek: (approx. 6.5 miles away); Skirmish At Black Mingo Creek (approx. 6.5 miles away); Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pleasant Hill Baptist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,680 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.