Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

14th Indiana Infantry

1st Brigade, 3rd Division

 

2nd Corps

 
14th Indiana Infantry Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
1. 14th Indiana Infantry Monument
At the top is a trefoil, the symbol of Second Corps.
Inscription. (Front):
Principal battles in which the 14th Indiana engaged.
Cheat Mountain.
Green Briar.
Winchester.
Antietam.
Fredericksburgh.
Chancellorsville.
Gettysburg.
Mine Run.
Mortons Ford.
Wilderness.
Spottsylvania.
Cold Harbor.
And more than fifty other minor engagements and skirmishes.
Mustered in June 7th 1861.
Mustered out June 7th 1864.

14th. Ind.

(Back):
On the evening of July 2nd 1863, a determined effort was made by Hay's and Hoke's Brigades of Early's Division of Confederate troops to carry cemetery hill by storm. The Union troops supporting the batteries occupying this ground were over whelmed and forced to retire. Wiedrick's Battery was captured and two of Rickett's guns were spiked. Carroll's Brigade then in position south west of the Cemetery was sent to the rescue. Advancing double quick time through the Cemetery and across the Baltimore Pike. The men went in with a cheer. The 14th Indiana met the enemy among the guns on this ground where a hand to hand struggle ensued resulting in driving the enemy from the hill. On this spot, Isaac Norris, the color bearer of the 14th Ind. was killed and many others fell near by. The Regiment then took position along the stone fence at the base of the hill southeast from this point. Facing the east
Close Up of Front Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
2. Close Up of Front
the right and left flank being designated by stone markers, there placed, which position it held to the close of the great battle.

(Right):
14th Ind. Vols.
1st Brigade 3rd Division Second Corps.
Erected by the State of Indiana in honor of
her heroes.

 
Erected 1885 by State of Indiana.
 
Location. 39° 49.285′ N, 77° 13.734′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Baltimore Pike (State Highway 97), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located on East Cemetery Hill in Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Major-General Winfield Scott Hancock (a few steps from this marker); Battery B, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Ricketts' Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 7th West Virginia Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 11th Corps Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery Brigade
Back of Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
3. Back of Monument
(within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, Fourth U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. East Cemetery Hill. National Park Service virtual tour stop. (Submitted on March 19, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. 14th Indiana Infantry. Web site providing rosters and information about the regiment. (Submitted on March 19, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Right Side of Monument Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
4. Right Side of Monument
14th Indiana Final Position Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
5. 14th Indiana Final Position
Looking down the slope of Cemetery Hill toward the east. The 14th Indiana reestablished the line along Brickyard Lane (modern Wainwright Avenue), facing east, between the two stone fences seen to the sides of this view.
Left Flank Marker Stone Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
6. Left Flank Marker Stone
As mentioned on the monument's inscription, this marker stone sits near the stone fence on what was the Regiment's left flank. It reads:
Left flank of 14th Ind. from 8 p.m. July 2nd to close of battle. 7th Virginia on the left.

The 7th Virginia, of course, was a West Virginia regiment.
Right Flank Marker Stone Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
7. Right Flank Marker Stone
The Right Flank Marker Stone reads:
Right Flank of 14th Ind. from 8 p.m. July 2nd to close of battle. 4th Ohio on the right.
14th Indiana Infantry Line Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, February 21, 2009
8. 14th Indiana Infantry Line
Looking south down Wainwright Avenue. The left flank marker stone stands next to the stone fence in the foreground. The right flank marker is just visible near the distant stone fence, beyond the 41st New York flank marker. Standing in this section are monuments and a tablet for Von Gilsa's Brigade which were driven from the position by the Confederate attack in the evening of July 2.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement