Folsom in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1957 by Sacramento County Daughters of Utah Pioneers, in cooperation with California State Park Commission. (Marker Number 240.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 38° 41.957′ N, 121° 7.654′ W. Marker is in Folsom, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from East Natoma Street. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Folsom Dam Improvements (approx. 0.3 miles away); Prairie City Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Folsom Institute (approx. 2.4 miles away); Folsom Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Sacramento, Placer and Nevada Railroad Right of Way (approx. 2.5 miles away); Sterlingshire (approx. 2.9 miles away); Original Folsom Hydroelectric Plant (approx. 3 miles away); Pioneer Express Trail (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Folsom.
Regarding Mormon Island. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 569 on April 1, 1957.
Also see . . . Folsom – Where the Past Meets the Future. The camp was called Mormon Island due to the early miners cutting a channel across one edge of a gravel bar there, forming a small island. (Submitted on April 4, 2009.)
1. The Town Site
The site of Mormon Island was located in El Dorado County just northeast of the marker site, while the marker is located in Sacramento County. The border of the two counties is located just east of the Folsom Point Picnic Area.
— Submitted April 4, 2009.
2. Interpretive sign at “Clarksville Days” held at the old town site of Clarksville
May 9, 2009
Originally located on the South Fork of the American River, just east of present day city of Folsom. Not truly an island, but a sand bar, where two of [John] Sutter’s workmen, Sidney Willes and Wilford Hudson first discovered gold, on March 2nd, 1848 – just 37 days after James Marshall’s discovery in Coloma. Willes and Hudson were fellow Mormon Battalion veterans with Marshall’s millworkers, who passed on the gold discovery “secret”. The original Mormon Battalion boys and other Mormon immigrants, who came to California by ship, the Brooklyn first worked it, and would mark off areas – each working his assigned space. The gold found each day was tossed into a container, with tools left overnight. They were among trusted friends. By the time other gold seekers arrived, the gold fields were not safe, nor
By the end of 1848 most of the Mormons left California, to return with their families and “gather with the Saints.” In the Oct. 29, 1850 census few Mormons remained. The town grew to thousands until the end of the Gold Rush. It remained a town until the 1950’s, when it was inundated by Folsom Lake.
See Photo #4
— Submitted May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Natural Resources • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,689 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 6. submitted on , by S B of Sacramento, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.