Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sardis in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sardis Baptist Church

 
 
Sardis Baptist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
1. Sardis Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. On Sept. 28, 1803, a group of men living in Burke County near Beech Branch Meeting House, "found to be in the true Baptist faith", by a presbytery of Rev. Henry Hand and Rev. John Ross, were constituted into one Body as a Baptist Church. A church covenant was adopted. William Thompson Sr. and Stephen Murray Sr. were made deacons. Original members were Stephen Murray Sr., William Thompson Sr., Thomas Tipton, William L. Mobley, Nicholas Thomas, Jeremiah Kimbal, Jacob Taylor Jr., Jacob Hollingsworth, Ephriam Davis, Jessey Pollock, Mary Murray, Elizabeth Tillis, And Ama Tipton. A new church was built on land given by William and G.W. Sapp and, in 1810, the name of the church became Sardis.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 58.189′ N, 81° 45.553′ W. Marker is in Sardis, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker is at the intersection of Pine Street and Burke Street, on the right when traveling north on Pine Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 Pine Street, Sardis GA 30456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Pastorium and Sardis Baptist Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
2. Pastorium and Sardis Baptist Church Marker
13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Site Sardis Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Old Quaker Road (approx. 3.1 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 6.8 miles away); Paris' Mill (approx. 6.8 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 7.7 miles away); Botsford Church - 1773 (approx. 11.2 miles away); The 14th Corps at Lumpkin's Station (approx. 11.9 miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 12.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sardis.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located at the current Sardis Baptist Church. The original site is approximately one mile away. Please see the Original Site Sardis Baptist Church Marker in the "Other nearby markers" section.
 
Regarding Sardis Baptist Church. The original Sardis Baptist church was erected on the site of the now Sardis Baptist Cemetery.
 
Also see . . .  A City Becomes Alive. This article, by F. Leslie Jenkins Jr. and published February 20, 2008, gives a brief history of Sardis, which apparently has its roots with the founding of the Beech Branch Meeting House. (Submitted on October 3, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Current Sardis Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
3. Current Sardis Baptist Church
Original Site of Sardis Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
4. Original Site of Sardis Baptist Church
Erected 1810 Rebuilt 1847 Dismantled 1940 and material used in erecting pastorium in Sardis. Original Beech Branch Meeting House constituted in 1803.
Original Site of Sardis Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
5. Original Site of Sardis Baptist Church
This site is now the full cemetery for Sardis Baptist Church and the surrounding area. Graves date from the 1800's to present.
Meeting House of Sardis Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland
6. Meeting House of Sardis Baptist Church
This is a picture of the third meeting house of the Sardis Baptist Church. It was erected in 1847 on the same site as the second meeting house. It was built under the supervision of the following committee: William E. Sapp and B.I. Ellison. It was dedicated by the Church Pastor, Rev. Joseph Pohill, in November 1849. It was dismantled in 1939 and the pastorium of the current church was built from the material of this old church.
Current Site of Original Church Photo, Click for full size
By Diana Boland, July 22, 2008
7. Current Site of Original Church
Compare this photo with the previous one. Many markers in the original photo are now missing or out of their original positions. This is due to the cemetery not being maintained for some time and weathering of wooden headstones. When clearing of the original cemetery took place unfortunetly some graves in this oldest section became unmarked. The entire cemetery now has perpetual care and is well maintained.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,675 times since then. Last updated on , by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by D. Boland of Waynesboro, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement