Richland Center in Richland County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Birthplace of GTE
Officially founded in 1918 when John F. O’Connell and Sigurd L. Odegard purchased the Richland Center Telephone Company, the firm today called GTE grew rapidly and has telephone operations in 31 states. Designated Commonwealth Telephone in 1920 and Associated Telephone Utilities in 1926, the company became General Telephone Corporation in 1935.
The name General Telephone & Electronics was adopted in 1958 to more accurately reflect corporate diversification.
Erected 1980 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 261.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 20.581′ N, 90° 23.354′ W. Marker is in Richland Center, Wisconsin, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of West 6th Street (U.S. 14) and North Orange Street (U.S. 14) on West 6th Street. Click for map. Marker is at Krouskop Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 460 West 6th Street, Richland Center WI 53581, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Ada James (a few steps from this marker); Krouskop Park (a few steps from this marker); Wisconsin Purple Heart Memorial Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Boaz Mastodon (approx. 5.8 miles away); Rural Electrification (approx. 5.8 miles away); Richard M. Brewer (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ocooch Mountains (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Little Rock (approx. 7.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richland Center.
Also see . . . GTE History from Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 11, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,543 times since then and 282 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.