Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary Church

 
 
St. Mary Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
1. St. Mary Church Marker
Inscription. St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus’ South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary’s first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary’s distinctive spire—soaring 197 feed into the Columbus sky—was added in 1893.

By 1865 Columbus’ population was one-third German, and the South Side had become a thriving working-class community. The new immigrants built homes and churches and established schools. Local German businesses, organizations, and newspapers prospered.

German Village is one of the premier historic restorations in the world, and is the largest privately funded historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. More than 1,600 buildings have been restored since 1960.
 
Erected 1999 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, St. Mary School Student Council, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location.
St. Mary Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
2. St. Mary Church and Marker
Marker can be seen between the two cars.
39° 56.9′ N, 82° 59.712′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on South 3rd Street just south of East Sycamore Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Lutheran Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Schiller Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Christian Heyl (approx. half a mile away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. half a mile away); Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War (approx. half a mile away); Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  German Village Video. A 10 minute piece about German Village narrated by Andra Cambern originally shown on WBNS TV Channel 10 in 2007. (Submitted on July 7, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
Monsignor Specht Parish Center image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
3. Monsignor Specht Parish Center
The original schoolhouse, built in 1865. It is between the church and the 1887 school.
1887 St. Mary's School image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
4. 1887 St. Mary's School
This building faces South Lazelle Street.
Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
5. Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant
“Since 1886.” East Kossuth Street jogs to the right around this building at Purdy Street. Started as a meatpacking business, branched out as an Ohio State Fair food stand in the 1920s and opened this restaurant in 1967.
The Book Loft in German Village image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
6. The Book Loft in German Village
An eclectic 32 room book store, one of the largest independent bookstores in the nation, is across the street and one block north of St. Mary’s.
A Shady Sidewalk in German Village image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
7. A Shady Sidewalk in German Village
St. Marien Kirche (St. Mary Church in German) A.D. 1867 image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 7, 2009
8. St. Marien Kirche (St. Mary Church in German) A.D. 1867
At base of steeple, above entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,300 times since then and 217 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   6, 7. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   8. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement