Inscription. "I have been permitted to stand by your loved ones when the trial hour came..."
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
|1. Clara Barton Marker|
For some, service to their country ended with the Civil War. For Clara Barton, this was the beginning. Barton, a forty year old teacher, patent clerk and patriot, was frustrated by reports of inadequate relief supplies at battlefields. She gathered needed items and transported them to the front.
At Antietam, Miss Barton followed the sound of artillery and arrived on this part of the battlefield. She delivered bandages and lanterns to field hospitals. Clara Barton and her staff of thirty men prepared gruel (meal mixed with warm water) which they carried out to feed the wounded and dying where they fell. She worked here for three days, providing whatever assistance she could. This is just one of the many battlefields on which Miss Barton worked.
After the war, Barton established the Friends of the Missing Men of the United States Army, an organization which located the graves of missing U.S. soldiers. She established the American Association of the International Red Cross in 1881, adding civilian disaster relief to its mandate of providing neutral assistance during war, and in 1904, Clara Barton established the American First Aid Association.
Erected 2009 by Antietam National Battlefield - National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior
By Craig Swain, July 5, 2009
|2. Clara Barton Wayside|
Location. 39° 29.333′ N, 77° 44.84′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Mansfield Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located at the pull off for stop two on the driving tour of Antietam Battlefield, the Poffenberger Farm. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Clara Barton (here, next to this marker); 7th Regiment Pennsylvania (a few steps from this marker); The Culmination of Another Great Tragedy was at Hand (within shouting distance of this marker); 4th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Corps, 3rd Division, 2nd Brigade Bivouac (about 300 feet away, in a direct line); First Army Corps (about 400 feet away); 3rd Regt. Pennsylvania (about 400 feet away); Meade's Division, First Army Corps (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sharpsburg.
More about this marker. To the left of a portrait of Clara Barton are photos of a Red Topaz brooch presented to Clara Barton by Empress Augusta of Germany (one of many decorations received for service), signe for the Friends of the Missing Men of the United States Army from her Washington, D.C. office and a program from the dedication of her monument here at Antietam. Below is a photo of Miss Barton's Glen Echo, Maryland, home was the first permanent headquarters of the American Red Cross; it is now preserved as a National Park Service site.
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled "God has indeed remembered us." (Submitted on September 21, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 493 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |