Inscription. A disastrous fire on the night of July 14, 1900 changed the face of downtown Prescott. Starting in a room in the Scopel Hotel on the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma Streets, the fire quickly hopped across Goodwin Street and proceeded to consume all of the buildings on "Whiskey Row," leveling the entire block. Though some of the Plaza buildings were built of brick, many were wood, and the destruction was nearly complete. The fire burned almost everything in its path to Granite Creek and Willis Street, a total of over 80 businesses. Prescott had suffered fires before, but this was by far the worst. The pluck and courage of its merchants and residents was evident, however, as they pitched in to rebuild, this time a more substantial means: brisk, concrete, and stone. Within three days construction was underway. Undaunted merchants were open and doing a brisk business in tents, corrugated metal buildings, and hastily constructed sheds on the courthouse lawn. Of the buildings standing at the time of the fire, only a few remain: The Prescott National Bank and the Bank of Prescott (both under construction in 1900), the Knights of Pythias Building on South Cortez Street, and the City Jail and Fire Station on West Goodwin Street.
By Joseph Cavinato, July 13, 2009
|1. The Fire of 1900 Marker|
Erected by The Historic Preservation Fund and the City of Prescott
By Joseph Cavinato, July 13, 2009
|2. Street view of Fire of 1900 Marker|
Location. 34° 32.385′ N, 112° 28.221′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of South Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89) and West Goodwin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Montezuma Street. Click for map. Marker is located on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ruffner Plaza Stables (within shouting distance of this marker); City Jail and Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (about 400 feet away); Montezuma Street (about 400 feet away); Hotel Vendome (about 500 feet away); The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association (about 500 feet away); Site of Howey's Hall (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . .
1. Prescott's Great Fire. The Sharlot Hall Museum's article on the 1900 fire. Also shown is a photo of the burned out area. (Submitted on July 13, 2009.)
2. Whiskey Row. On July 14, 1900, this block was totally destroyed by fire. Within a few days of the fire, new construction was underway in brick and masonry. (Submitted on July 30, 2009.)
By Sharlot Hall Museum Photo, circa 1897
|3. Close-Up of Photo on Marker|
Additional keywords. Man Caused Disasters
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 872 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 3. submitted on July 13, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |