Near Seward in Fulton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ohio Michigan Boundary War / Battle of Phillips Corners
Ohio Historical Markers
"The Ohio Michigan Boundary War"
The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 defined the boundary of the northern and southern tier of states to be carved out of the Northwest Territory, as a line drawn east from the southernmost tip of Lake Michigan until it intersects Lake Erie. Controversy over the exact location of that line led to the 1834-1837 boundary dispute between the State of Ohio and Michigan Territory. Passions ran high as everyone on both sides of the boundary knew that a great port city (Toledo) would emerge in the disputed territory. President Andrew Jackson settled the dispute in 1836 when he signed an act that recognized the current border between Ohio and Michigan, giving Michigan 9,000 square miles of Upper Peninsula land and awarding the disputed strip of approximately 470 square miles to Ohio. Michigan then joined the nation as a state the following year.
[Side Facing South]
"Battle of Phillips Corners"
The Battle of Phillips Corners took place on April 26, 1835, and is sometimes referred to as the Toledo War. The altercation began when Ohio Governor Robert Lucas sent a survey party to re-mark the 1817 William Harris survey line, located on land claimed by Michigan Territory. When the survey party stopped to rest on land owned by Colonel Eli Phillips
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Fulton County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 42.013′ N, 84° 2.222′ W. Marker is near Seward, Ohio, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 109 and Ohio Route 120, on the left when traveling north on State Route 109. Click for map. This historical marker is situated at the northwest corner of the intersection of State Route 109 and State Route 120, about 2 miles east of Lyons, Ohio. Marker is in this post office area: Lyons OH 43533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Old Territorial Road (approx. 10.2 miles away); Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton (approx. 12.1 miles away); Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 12.7 miles away in Michigan); Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road / Rail Road (approx. 12.7 miles away in Michigan).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Toledo War. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Toledo War. (Submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 4,582 times since then and 1,013 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.