Near Elizabethtown in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Visit the National Road Museum at the Norwich exit (65), Interstate 70.
Erected 1973 by The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 40° 3.8′ N, 81° 0.833′ W. Marker is near Elizabethtown, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is on Interstate 70 at milepost 189, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. It is at the Elizabethtown eastbound rest area in Ohio, just after Old Washington exit, No. 186. Marker is in this post office area: Salesville OH 43778, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Mile Marker (approx. 0.2 miles away); State of Ohio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morristown (approx. 2.6 miles away); Harley E. Warrick (approx. 3 miles away); Governor Arthur St. Clair 1734-1818 (approx. 6.1 miles away); Belmont County Revolutionary War Veterans (approx. 6.1 miles away); Medal of Honor Recipients of Belmont County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Milestone Marks where Extension of National Road... (approx. 6.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is a one-sided marker. The back has no inscription.
Regarding Mile Marker. National Road mile markers were the responsibility of the individual states and each state’s marker was shaped differently and constructed from different materials. All showed the distance from Cumberland and to the nearest city in each direction.
Also see . . . Mile Markers. “In Ohio, the markers were a square column with a rounded head. Each is marked at the head with the distance to the eastern terminus of the road at Cumberland, Maryland. Below, the square base is set at an angle to the road, with exposed sides showing the distance to the nearest city or village for the east- or west-bound traveler. As originally built, the markers were 5' tall and set directly into the ground, leaving 3' exposed.”
1. "M" and "H"
Just guessing, but the "M" on the marker is most likely for Morristown, OH and the "H" is for Hendrysburg, OH.
Editor's Note: If that's the case, the milestone may have been moved from its original location, as Hendrysburg is on the other side of Morristown from the milestone. Certainly possible, as the distance between Hendrysburg and Morristown is about equal to the distances shown on the milestone, and a bit short of the 154 miles to Cumberland, MD. Perhaps a local historian can provide some assistance.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,883 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 24, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. The names of the towns “M.” and “H.” as shown on the milestone in Photo No. 3. • Can you help?