Inscription. The Bluemont Branch of the Washington & Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line. The Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 from the vision of two prominent men. Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, lumber, and railroads in his home state. John R. McLean was involved in several businesses and owned The Washington Post. Elkins and McLean bought land on the Virginia side of the Potomac River at Great Falls. They turned it into a resort, complete with a carousel, dance pavilion, and an electrified trolley line to bring the crowds from Washington. The largely undeveloped land along the line was idea for residential communities, including one named after McLean.
By Craig Swain, July 14, 2007
|1. The Great Falls Line Marker|
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 6.727′ N, 77° 34.795′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from Catoctin Circle Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located about 100 yards west of Catoctin Circle along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail, at the juncture of the Foxridge Community Park walking trail. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America.
By Craig Swain, July 14, 2007
|2. The Great Falls Line Marker Next to the Trail Juncture|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Electric Trains on the W&OD (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leesburg Passenger Station (approx. ¾ mile away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. ¾ mile away); Leesburg (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Stone Church Site (approx. ¾ mile away); The Tolbert Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Memory of Richard Owings (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ealry Methodism in Leesburg (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a picture of a train on the Great Falls Line captioned, “A small steam locomotive stops at Cherrydale in Arlington, along GF&OD around 1908.” The marker also has portraits of John R. McLean and Sen. Stephen Elkins. A small inset reproduces an advertisement used for the W&OD describing services to Great Falls.
This marker is one of a standard set used along the trail, and is duplicated elsewhere.
Also see . . .
1. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Line. Wikipedia entry, with a rather detailed listing of stops along the line. The railroad seems to have been converted to the present day Old Dominion Drive. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Stephen B Elkins Biography. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. John R. McLean Biography. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
5. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |