Inscription. Nearby is the site of Terrill Hill, home of the Terrill brothers of Bath County. Brig. Gen. William R. Terrill, a graduate of West Point commanded a Union brigade and was killed in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky, on 8 Oct. 1862. His brother, Brig. Gen. James B. Terrill, a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, served under A. P. Hill with the 13th Regiment, Virginia Infantry, and died in the Battle of Bethesda Church, on 30 May 1864. The paperwork announcing his promotion to brigadier general arrived just after his death. Legend says their father erected a monument to his sons with the inscription "God alone knows which was right."
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 27, 2009
|1. Terrill Hill Marker|
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-6.)
Location. 38° 3.182′ N, 79° 46.833′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is on U.S. 220. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs VA 24484, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Early Bath County Courthouses (here, next to this marker); The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard (here, next to this marker); The County Seat of Bath (approx. 0.7 miles away); Life at the Tollhouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Virginia Springs Resorts (approx. 0.8 miles away); Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Dinwiddie (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Warm Springs.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
|2. Terrill Hill Marker (Center) and Two Others|
Also see . . .
1. William R. Terrill. Wikipedia biography of William. (Submitted on August 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. James B. Terrill. VMI biography of James. (Submitted on August 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 588 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |