Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Shiloh Log Church
The Union troops were determined to hold the high ground by this church and the Confederates were equally determined to drive the Federals into the Tennessee River. After several hours of intensive fighting, the entire Federal army under the command of Ulysses S. Grant slowly withdrew toward Pittsburg Landing, leaving this area with many dead and wounded from both sides.
By early afternoon, General P.G.T. Beauregard assumed command of the Confederate Army after the death of General Johnston. Beauregard established his headquarters and directed the battle from this area near the church. By nightfall, Shiloh Church also served as shelter for the many wounded and dying men who had fallen during that day's fighting.
The following day, April 7th, Shiloh Church once again served as a critical location when the Confederate
Although the original log church at Shiloh was destroyed during the battle, the log church before you is a near exact replica of that original church. Much detail went into building this church, using hand-hewn logs approximately 150 years old that came from this area. This log church replica was started in 1999 under the direction of the Shiloh Sons of Confederate Veteran Camp #1454 and Shiloh Methodist Church.
With the support and donations from the sons and daughters of both the Union and Confederate Veterans, Shiloh Methodist Church, Shiloh National Park and numerous other friends, this monumental task became a reality and was completed in 2001. Shiloh Log Church again stands proudly on the Battlefield of Shiloh.
(Listing of contributors)
We acknowledge the above contributors but also want to recognize the many friends and other supporters, too numerous to mention, who made this project possible.
Erected 2000 by Shiloh Sons of Confederate Veteran Camp #1454 and Shiloh Methodist Church.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. Click for map. Located at stop seven, Shiloh Church, in Shiloh National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army of the Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Army of the Ohio (within shouting distance of this marker); Army of the Mississippi (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, 1st Illinois Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh School (within shouting distance of this marker); 17th Illinois Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Shiloh.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,886 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.