Inscription. Zum Gedenken an das Bombensuchkommando des KZ Dachau, das in der Zeit vom Juli 1944 bis April 1945 hier untergebracht war. Die SS zwang die Häftlinge unter Einsatz ihres Lebens, Bomben in München zu bergen und zu entschärfen. Zahllose Gefangene fanden dabei den Tod. Ihr Opfer ist uns Mahnung und Verpflichtung.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 20, 2009
|1. Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit Marker|
Landeshauptstadt München, Verein „zum Beispiel Dachau”
Translated, the marker reads:
In commemoration of the Dachau concentration camp bomb disposal unit, which was housed here from July 1944 to April 1945. The SS forced the prisoners to risk their lives to find and defuse bombs in Munich. Numerous prisoners were killed. It is our duty to remember their sacrifice.
The City of Munich, Society “For Example Dachau”
Erected 1989 by Verein „Zum Beispiel Dachau”.
Location. 48° 7.658′ N, 11° 33.089′ E. Marker is in Munich, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Stielerstrasse and Bayernring on Stielerstrasse. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Stielerstrasse 6, Munich, Bavaria 80336, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, as the crow flies. Franz Marc (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Gottfried Keller (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane (approx. 2 kilometers away); Georg Lankensperger (approx. 2.1 kilometers away); Maximilian Joseph - Earl of Montgelas (approx. 2.1 kilometers away); "Lueg ins Land" Watchtower (approx. 2.5 kilometers away).
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 20, 2009
|2. Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit Marker - Wide Shot|
|The marker is just visible mounted on the wall within the arch to the left of the door, above the post boxes. The building houses a school.|
Regarding Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit.
• The Dachau concentration camp had more than 100 satellite or sub-camps scattered throughout southern Germany and Austria. Most were involved in arms production. The subcamp at the Stielerstrasse School was established in 1944 to defuse or dispose of dud bombs that landed in the city.
• The Nazis had first tried to staff the bomb disposal unit with volunteers from Dachau, promising them their freedom after disarming 10 bombs. The number of volunteers was insufficient, and the promise of freedom was never kept. A team of 100 inmates was then conscripted into bomb disposal service. In addition, they were joined by some prisoners from the area jails.
• More than 100 inmates were housed in the school gymnasium.
• Concentration camp inmate Franz Brückl defused or detonated 246 dud bombs and lived to tell about it.
Also see . . .
1. Zum Beispiel Dachau: Study-group for investigating contemporary history of Dachau. The Society "Zum Beispiel Dachau" English-language webpage explaining their society and its purposes. (Submitted on September 13, 2009.)
2. Living With History. Helga Pfoertner's Mahnmale, Gedenkstätten, Erinnerungsorte für die Opfer des Nationalsozialismus in München, 1933-1945: Mit der Geschichte leben (Living With History: Monuments, Memorials, and Places of Memory for Victims of National Socialism in Munich, 1933-1945). This is a scholarly examination of the various memorials to victims of the Nazis in the Munich area, providing a history and context for each memorial. The Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit historical marker is described on pages 11-15. In German. (Submitted on September 13, 2009.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,069 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |