Inscription. Originally an Indian trail used in 1695 by a troop of Rangers from the Garrison Fort to keep back the Indians. Later the high road to Joppa Town, the County Seat of Baltimore County from 1712 to 1768 and the rival of Baltimore.
By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
|1. The Joppa Road Marker|
Erected 1934 by State Roads Commission.
Location. 39° 23.791′ N, 76° 34.739′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Joppa Road and Edgeclift Road, in the median on Joppa Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towson MD 21204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Epsom Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); War of 1812 Cannon (approx. 1.2 miles away); A Romance with Nature: The Falling Garden (approx. 1.4 miles away); Domestic Service Buildings-Behind the Big House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Baltimore County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Oranges in January (approx. 1.4 miles away); Captain Charles Ridgely (approx. 1.5 miles away); Ridgely's Pride (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Towson.
Also see . . . Oldton’s Company of Baltimore Rangers. This is the site of some reenactors that portray the rangers that patrolled, widened and marked the indian trails that would become Joppa Road. (Submitted on October 10, 2007, by John Machate of Columbia, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,749 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 4, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |