Inscription. Hoover's Gap, TN, June 24, 1863. The 18th Indiana Battery, commanded by Capt. Eli Lilly, dislodged one Confederate artillery piece and forced the Confederate batteries to change position. The battery, along with Wilder's Brigade, did considerable damage to the advancing Confederate infantry with double rounds of canister. This battle opened middle TN to the Union forces, resulting in the advance of the Union Army to Chattanooga and Georgia.
By Tom Gillard, November 6, 2009
|1. 18th Indiana Battery Marker|
The battery was formed in Indianapolis, IN. In 1862 by Capt. Eli Lilly. The 18th Indiana Battery was the largest battery in the Army of the Cumberland comprised of six 3 inch ordnance rifles and 4 mountain howitzers. The battery served in KY, TN,GA an AL. This plaque is dedicated to the memory of the men of the 18th Indiana Battery and to all American soldiers who fought on this site.
Erected by The Midwest Civil War Artillery Association.
Location. 35° 37.576′ N, 86° 14.5′ W. Marker is near Beech Grove, Tennessee, in Coffee County. Marker is on Confederate Cemetery Road 0.1 miles west of Grossburg Road (Tennessee Highway 64), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beechgrove TN 37018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Pledge to the South (here, next to this marker); 20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry (a few steps from this marker); General Forrest's Farewell Order Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); General A. P. Stewart's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Watterson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Nash (about 800 feet away); Beech Grove Engagement (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Beech Grove.
Also see . . . Tullahoma Campaign. The action here was part of the brilliant Tullahoma Campaign which secured central Tennessee and Chattanooga for the Federals. (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Captain Eli Lilly
Eli Lilly, the commander of the 18th Indiana Battery, had a very interesting post-Civil War career. A pharmaceutical chemist and a veteran of the Civil War, Lilly was frustrated by the poorly prepared and often ineffective medicines of his day. In May 1876, he founded Eli Lilly & Company in Indianapolis, Indiana. His company is now a global, research-based company, and is a leading manufacturer of pharmaceutical products. (Information about the Company was obtained from their website, Elililly.com)
— Submitted May 15, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 6, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |