Inscription. The Battle of Santa Clara was the only campaign fought in the Northern district of California between Californios and United States forces during the Mexican-American war. In the 1840’s an oak forest grew near the present Lawrence Expressway, but brackish water and marshy soil limited tree growth in the region to the east providing an unobstructed view of Mission Santa Clara three miles ahead. The battle took place in this open plain.
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
|1. The Battle of Santa Clara Marker|
As you face towards City Hall, the battle area ranged from your left, towards Lawrence Expressway, to your right, towards the De La Cruz overpass. The American Expeditionary force emerged from the trees, on a road that reached the present El Camino Real at Pomeroy Avenue. At that point they first sited the deployed rancheros on horseback on the open plain. When the Americans’ cannon mired in the mud, halting their march, the rancheros came closer. This site was near where today El Camino crosses Saratoga Creek. An exchange of gunfire occurred with no one hurt. The rancheros returned to their camp, within sight of the people watching from the mission rooftops. After extracting their cannon from the mud the Americans continued to the mission. The skirmishing lasted approximately two hours, but it took five days of negotiations before the official treaty ceremony ended the Battle of Santa Clara.
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
|2. The Battle of Santa Clara Marker|
Erected 2000 by Santa Clara Historical and Landmarks Commission.
Location. 37° 21.156′ N, 121° 57.234′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on El Camino Real near Lincoln Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located at the Geoffrey C. "Geof" Goodfellow Sesquicentennial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armistice Oak Tree Site (here, next to this marker); De Anza Expedition 1775 – 1776 (here, next to this marker); Saint Clare (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Campaign Treaty Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fatjo House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Austen D. Warburton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Headen-Inman House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Clara.
More about this marker. This marker base is a three sided-triangular base. On the front is mounted the nearby marker "Armistice Oak Tree Site", on the left is the Armistice Oak Tree Site Rededication Plaque and this marker is mounted on the right side.
Also see . . . City of Santa Clara – Prelude to Statehood. This "battle" which took place on the open plain about two miles from the mission, was a result of several rancheros rebelling against Americans taking their livestock and property. It was actually a 2 hour skirmish not a battle; no one was killed, and the only casualty was the American military forces' cannon, which continually bogged down in the knee-deep mud. (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,787 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |