HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Varina in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Henrico Parish Church
 
Henrico Parish Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, November 25, 2009
1. Henrico Parish Church Marker
 
Inscription. Sir Thomas Dale established the original Henrico Parish Church at Henricus, 4½ miles southeast of here, in 1611. The first minister, the Reverend Alexander Whitaker, has been credited with converting Pocahontas to Christianity. Other noteworthy ministers included James Blair and William Stith. The parish church was later relocated to Varina, then to Curles, and finally to Saint John's Church in Richmond in 1741. Here, in 1926, the Varina Episcopal Church was constructed and the newly formed Varina Parish was established in this community.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resouces. (Marker Number V 37.)
 
Location. 37° 26.812′ N, 77° 21.486′ W. Marker is in Varina, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is at the intersection of New Market Road (Virginia Route 5) and Mill Road, on the right when traveling east on New Market Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Successful Colonial Tobacco Crop (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Harrison (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Gilmer (approx. one mile away); Four Mile Creek Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hopeless Attacks (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Gilmer (approx. 1.2 miles away); Richmond Defences (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Johnson (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Varina.
 
New Market Road & Mill Road Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, November 25, 2009
2. New Market Road & Mill Road
 

 
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Varina Parish. Varina Episcopal Church (Submitted on November 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Historic St. Johnís Church (Henrico Parish). St. John's Church Foundation (Submitted on November 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Varina Church Episcopal Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, November 25, 2009
3. Varina Church Episcopal
 
 
Varina Church Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, November 25, 2009
4. Varina Church
Protestant Episcopal
1611-Henricopolis-1622
First Varina Church Built-1660
Congregation Re-established-1922
1926-This Building Erceted-1926
Addition-1977
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 906 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 211 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.