Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wilkes County

 
 
Wilkes County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Wilkes County Marker
Inscription.
Wilkes County, an original County, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek and Cherokee Cessions of June 1, 1773. At first, it contained all of Oglethorpe, Elbert, Lincoln, and parts of Taliaferro, Hart, Warren, and Madison Counties. It was named for John Wilkes (1727-1797), English politician and publicist, who strongly opposed measures leading to war with the colonies. First County Officers were: John Dooly, Sheriff, comm. Feb. 9, 1778; Samuel Creswell, Surveyor, comm. Feb. 18, 1783; Benjamin Catching, Clk. of Sup. and Inf. Cts., comm. Jan. 2, 1785; Howell Jarrett, Coroner, comm. 1790.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 44.275′ N, 82° 44.342′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Court Street and East Square, on the right when traveling west on East Court Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 East Court Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bolton Factory (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Davis
Wilkes County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, September 13, 2015
2. Wilkes County Marker
(a few steps from this marker); The Dissolution of the Confederate Government (a few steps from this marker); Wilkes County Courthouses (a few steps from this marker); Remodeled 1959 (a few steps from this marker); Washington-Wilkes Vietnam Monument (a few steps from this marker); Woodmen of the World Supreme Sacrifice Monument (a few steps from this marker); Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia (a few steps from this marker); Last Cabinet Meeting (a few steps from this marker); Last Cabinet Meeting of the C.S.A. (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
 
Regarding Wilkes County. The courthouse was built in 1903-04 on the site of the Bank of the State of Geogia, site of the last meeting of the Confederate Cabinet in 1865.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Wilkes County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. Wilkes County Marker
The marker stands in front of the Wilkes County Courthouse
Wilkes County Marker and Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
4. Wilkes County Marker and Courthouse
The Wilkes County Courthouse was completed in 1904. It replaced an earlier Federal style courthouse built in 1817, and is on the site of the Bank of the State of Georgia building. The Courthouse burned on Christmas Eve in 1958. It was restored, but minus the clock tower. In 1989 the clock tower was replaced, but the new one is lower than the original.
Wilkes County Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, September 13, 2015
5. Wilkes County Marker
Wilkes County Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
6. Wilkes County Courthouse
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Wilkes County Jail Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
7. Wilkes County Jail
A jail was added to the 1904 Courthouse in 1912, replacing an earlier jail.
Plaque on Wilkes County Jail Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
8. Plaque on Wilkes County Jail
Noting the first hanging in the new jail, even before it was dedicated
1890s Wilkes County Jail Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
9. 1890s Wilkes County Jail
This jail, built on the foundations of an earlier jail, is only a few yards from the Courthouse. It was replaced by the 1912 jail attached to the Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement