Inscription. Major Robert Hoops had a store and mill here in the 1770's. "Mercer" became Belvidere in 1791. It became a river trade center in the 1800's and finally the county seat in 1825.
By Dorine Ruth Emery, January 1, 2010
|1. Belvidere Marker|
Erected by County of Warren, New Jersey.
Location. 40° 49.431′ N, 75° 4.723′ W. Marker is in Belvidere, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is on Greenwich Street 0.1 miles north of 5th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belvidere NJ 07823, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Warren County Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); County Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Warren County Purple Heart Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Court House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Shoe Tree (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Nicoll (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Oxford (approx. 1.7 miles away); Shippen Manor (approx. 4.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Belvidere.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 399 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 1, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |