Inscription. Planted shortly after Fort Lowell was established in 1873. The trees were irrigated by acequias or open ditches with water diverted from Pantano Wash. The beautiful shade trees made Fort Lowell an oasis in an otherwise barren area. After the fort was abandoned in 1891 the trees died and were cut up for firewood. Now they have been replanted as they originally were in the heyday of Fort Lowell.
Presented by The Conservation Dept.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
|1. Cottonwood Lane Marker|
Tucson Womens Club
Mrs. H.M. Merritt, President 1964-65
Erected by The Conservation Dept., Tucson Womens Club.
Location. 32° 15.594′ N, 110° 52.411′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from Cottonwood Lane near North Craycroft Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85712, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Fort Lowell (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Lowell (about 500 feet away, in a direct line); Rugged Pioneer Soldiers (about 600 feet away); Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hacienda Moltacqua (approx. 2.1 miles away); El Conquistador Water Tower (approx. 3.8 miles away); Villa Catalina (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tucson.
By Bill Kirchner, 1
|2. Cottonwood Lane at Fort Lowell|
More about this marker. The Marker is inside Fort Lowell Park.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 610 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |