Inscription. The original town of Tres Pinos had been here for more than a decade when its post office opened on January 24, 1971. The town lost use of its name after August 12, 1873, when the Southern Pacific Railroad opened the Tres Pinos Station 4.7 miles away. The town changed its name to Grogan on August 4, 1874, and the Tres Pinos post office re-opened near the train station six days later. On October 10, 1874, the former town of Tres Pinos assumed its current name, taken from the nearby Rancho Cienega de los Paicines.
By Andrew Ruppenstein
|1. Tres Pinos/Paicines Marker|
April 17, 2004
Monterey Viejo Chapter 1846
E Clampus Vitus
Erected 2004 by Monterey Viejo Chapter 1846, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 43.719′ N, 121° 16.693′ W. Marker is in Paicines, California, in San Benito County. Marker is at the intersection of Panoche Road and California Highway 25, on the left when traveling west on Panoche Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paicines CA 95043, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. New Idria Mine (about 300 feet away, in a direct line); Limekiln Monorail (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cottage Corners (approx. 3.5 miles away); 19th Hole Rendevous (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of the Tres Pinos Hotel (approx. 4.9 miles away); Vineyard School (approx. 6.9 miles away); State Theatre (approx. 10.8 miles away); Hollister Train Service (approx. 10.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paicines.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 16, 2010
|2. Tres Pinos/Paicines Marker - Wide Shot (Looking west on Panoche Road)|
|The monument is visible next to the pine tree on the left.|
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a cement monument set alongside a fence on the south side of Panoche Road, about 200 feet east of the intersection with Highway 25. The monument is partly obscured by a pine tree, and thus easy to miss if heading east on Panoche Rd.
Also see . . . History of the Paicines Ranch. The history of the ranch after which the town was named, "...The original land grant in 1842 was to Angel Castro and Jose Rodriguez, who sold it to Francisco Villegas, who in 1867 sold the ranch to Alexander Grogan. Grogan ran a dairy operation on the ranch from the 1860's until the late 1800's. He built many of the oldest buildings which stand on the ranch today including the Victorian house (1880s), the two large barns (1880s) and the cheese house (1860s). Grogan imported Ayrshire cows for the dairy operation. Grogan died in 1886, and for the next 20 years the ranch was owned by his sister and two other owners...." (Submitted on January 28, 2010.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 512 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |