Inscription. The railroad that became the Washington & Old Dominion was born in Alexandria in response to the competition in shipping posed by the port in Baltimore, which was served by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The B&O was diverting farm produce from the Shenandoah Valley away from Alexandria by way of its junction with the Winchester & Potomac Railroad. It also had access to the rich coalfields of the Ohio Valley.
By Craig Swain, January 3, 2010
|1. Tracks into History Marker|
A group of Northern Virginia businessmen formed the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, with the first train reaching Leesburg from Alexandria on May 17, 1860. Their goal was to reach the farmlands and coalfields and recapture the trade that was slipping away.
Because of financial problems, this goal was never achieved and the railroad terminated in the town of Bluemont, Virginia. To survive, the rail line picked up business wherever possible. The railroad hauled farm products from the Fairfax and Loudoun country side into Washington, carried mail for the Federal government, provided freight service to and from the many towns and communities springing up along the line and furnished passenger service for the many commuters working in Washington. A specialized service promoted by the railroad was as an excursion line for vacationers wanting to reach cooler temperatures and resorts in the Loudoun Valley.
railroad was only modestly successful throughout its life, although it experienced a boom during the fuel shortage years of World War II. After that, with improvements to the road systems and motor vehicles, business declined quickly. By 1951, passenger service had ended and, in 1968, the rail line was abandoned.
By Craig Swain
|2. Markers near Hamilton Station|
March 20, 1847 - Incorporated as the Alexandria & Harper's Ferry Railroad.
March 15, 1853 - The corporate name changes to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Company.
February 25, 1855 - Construction begins near Alexandria.
May 17, 1860 - First train from Alexandria to Leesburg.
1861 to 1865 - Railroad construction, and some service, is interrupted by the Civil War.
June 1, 1867 - Train service is restored from Alexandria to Leesburg.
March 29, 1870 - Name is changed to Washington & Ohio Railroad Company.
April 1, 1874 - Railroad completed to Purcellville.
The company passes quickly through a number of ownerships starting January 31, 1882, when it becomes the Washington & Western Railroad. Then on May 9, 1883 it becomes the Washington, Ohio & Western Railroad. On October 30, 1886, the line is leased by the Richmond & Danville Railroad. Finally, the railroad becomes the Bluemont Branch when purchased by the Southern Railway Company on June 28, 1894.
1900 - The terminus of the railroad was reached when the line was completed to Snickersville (Bluemont).
By Craig Swain, January 3, 2010
|3. Railbed to the West|
|Looking past the old Hamilton Station along the trail, and old railroad bed, running to the west.|
July 1, 1912 - The railroad becomes the Washington & Old Dominion Railway Company.
Late 1912 - The railroad converts from steam to electric power.
April 16, 1936 - The name changes for a final time when it becomes the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Company.
February 1939 - Railroad service is discontinued west of Purcellville.
April 1941 - Passenger service is discontinued but starts up again a year later as result of World War II. All passenger service is ended May 31, 1951.
Early 1940s - Railroad changes from electric to diesel power.
August 27, 1968 - W&OD freight service ends and the line is abandoned. Virginia Electric and Power Company (Virginia Power) immediately buys the property to protect its existing easements and for future expansion.
1978 - After six years of negotiations with Virginia Power, the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority purchases the right-of-way from Shirlington to Purcellville for use as a multi-use trail which is completed in 1988.
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 8.636′ N, 77° 39.018′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Irene Road (County Route 706) and Hamilton Station Road (County Route 704), on the right when traveling west on Irene Road. Click for map. Located along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail Park. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton VA 20158, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamilton Station (here, next to this marker); Major General Ben H. Fuller (approx. 1.1 miles away); Paeonian Springs Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); Clarkes Gap (approx. 2.2 miles away); Loudoun Branch, Manassas Gap Railroad (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mother of the Wright Brothers (approx. 2.5 miles away); Electric Trains on the W&OD (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ambush at Purcellville (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hamilton.
More about this marker. This is one in a set of standard markers alongside the W&OD Trail. The marker features three pictures: A steam engine at Herndon Station, July 1910; An electric passenger train near Bluemount in 1939; and a diesel engine near Reston in 1958.
Also see . . .
1. Friends of the W&OD Trail. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Washington & Old Dominion Railroad. Detailed Wikipedia entry with the history of the railroad and a station list. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 746 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on January 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |