By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 16, 2010
|1. Eugene Sherwood Marker|
Born in London, England, graduate of Eton College, Captain in British Army and a London barrister. Arrived in San Francisco in 1856 as representative of a land purchasing group. Donated land in Salinas for railroad, churches, schools, streets, and this sixty acre Sherwood Park.
Dedicated May 11, 1972
Aleli Parlor No. 102, Native Daughters of the Golden West
Santa Lucia Parlor No. 97, Native Sons of the Golden West
Erected 1972 by Aleli Parlor No. 102, Native Daughters of the Golden West; Santa Lucia Parlor No. 97, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 36° 41.656′ N, 121° 39.104′ W. Marker is in Salinas, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on North Main Street north of Iris Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salinas CA 93906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. The First and Second Filipino Infantry Regiments U.S. Army (about 600 feet away, in a direct line); Salinas Temporary Detention Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Baldwin Locomotive Class S – 10 Engine 1237 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Southern Pacific Caboose # 726 (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Oldest Home in Salinas (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bataan Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Steinbeck House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Sargent House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salinas.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 16, 2010
|2. Eugene Sherwood Marker - Wide View|
|The marker is located on the grounds of the Salinas Sports Complex, which has been the home of the California Rodeo since 1911. During the Second World War, the California Rodeo grounds served as an assembly and processing center for ethnic Japanese prior to their relocation to internment camps, from April 27th to July 4, 1942. Later that year the Rodeo grounds were used by the US Army VII Corps, serving as the housing and training grounds for the First Filipino Infantry Regiment.|
Regarding Eugene Sherwood. The marker is mounted on a stone monument on the lawn in front of some trees directly in front of the box office for the Salinas Sports Complex ("Home of the California Rodeo") that is part of Sherwood Park.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of the City of Salinas. The City of Salinas' history of itself. On Sherwood's role in its founding: "In 1867 Alberto Trescony, Alan Riker and William Jackson formed a partnership with cattle rancher Eugene Sherwood and laid out a city plan of a half-square mile. Realizing the importance of the railroad to getting the agricultural products to market, Sherwood offered Southern Pacific Railroad free acreage for the right-of- way and a depot; which opened its doors for business in 1872, that was also the year that "Salinas City" became the seat of Monterey County. Two years later the name was changed to the "City of Salinas" and incorporated." (Submitted on February 2, 2010.)
2. The California Rodeo: A Central Coast Tradition. The Monterey County Historical Society's history of the California Rodeo, written by Burton Anderson. On Eugene Sherwood's role in the establishment of the Rodeo: "A history of the California Rodeo would not be complete without a mention of its predecessor, the Sausal Park Race Track. In 1872 the Monterey County Agricultural Association constructed a race track, grandstand, stables, bar and restaurant on 69.4 acres donated by Eugene Sherwood and Richard Hellman of San Francisco, to the City of Salinas, with the proviso that a fair and races be held at least every two years; otherwise the property would revert to the former owners. In 1875 the park hosted three days of horse racing and in that year the Monterey Fair Association was incorporated. In 1878 the name of the park was changed to Sherwood Park...." (Submitted on February 2, 2010.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 596 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |