Manchester State Forest, Pinewood in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
By Act of Assembly St. Mark's Parish was established in 1757. The first Church stood at Halfway Swamp. Others were built near Williamsburg-Sumter Line, near Rimini, and near this site. These four churches were abandoned or burned. Soldiers and Patriots of the Revolution were members of St. Mark's Parish.
The present church, designed by Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, of Charleston, was built of brick made of local clay, on land given by R.C. Richardson and R.I. Manning. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Thos. F. Davis, Feb., 1854, and the church consecrated March, 1855. Six Governors and many noted citizens worshipped here.
Erected 1952 by Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-6.)
Location. 33° 44.844′ N, 80° 30.721′ W. Marker is in Manchester State Forest, Pinewood, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 51 and St Marks Church Road on County Road 51. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinewood SC 29125, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard Richardson (within shouting distance of this marker); Millford Plantation Col. David Dubose Gaillard (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Manchester (approx. 6.4 miles away); Encounter at Halfway Swamp / Site of Original St. Mark's Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Halfway Swamp: (approx. 6.7 miles away); Enon Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Congaree River Ferries (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Regarding St. Mark's Episcopal Church. (St. Mark’s Church) St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, built in 1855, is significant for its architectural style representative of the Gothic Revival Style prevalent in the mid-nineteenth century and for its association with individuals prominent in the history of South Carolina, including six governors of the State. Established by the South Carolina House of Commons in 1757, St. Mark’s Parish and its parish church were for many years significant in the settlement and development of this area. The present church is the fourth structure to serve as St. Mark’s Church. The original church was erected ca. 1767, but was destroyed by the British during the Revolution. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on February 25, 1854.
Also see . . . South Carolina Department of Archives and History entry for St. Mark's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on February 4, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,611 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.