Blountsville in Blount County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of old Indian trading paths.
1816 - Tennesseans began trading post here and called village Bear Meat Cabin.
1820 - named changed to Blountsville and made county seat.
1889 - County seat moved to Oneonta.
Erected 1956 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 4.89′ N, 86° 35.46′ W. Marker is in Blountsville, Alabama, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 231) and Lee Street West, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Located in a small park at the corner of Main Street and Lee Street West. Marker is in this post office area: Blountsville AL 35031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blountsville Court Square Timeline (a few steps from this marker); Ebenezer Hearn 1794-1862 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Raid Exploit of Murphree Sisters (approx. 5.7 miles away); Battle Royal (approx. 5.7 miles away); Homesite and Grave of George Powell (approx. 8.6 miles away); Town of Susan Moore (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bailey School (approx. 10.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blountsville.
Categories. • Government • Military • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,772 times since then and 151 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.