Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkton in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House

Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters, April 19-30, 1862

 

—1862 Valley Campaign —

 
Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 4, 2008
1. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House Marker
Inscription. Less than a month after his defeat at Kernstown, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson retired to the Elk Run Valley to rest his troops and plan for the spring campaign. With his men camped all along Elk Run and into Swift Run Gap, Jackson made his headquarters here in Elkton (then Conrad’s Store). Jackson used this house, then the residence of the widow of John Argabright. According to staff member Henry Kyd Douglas, Jackson’s room was empty of furniture except for a thin mattress on the floor.

In the days that followed, the house became a beehive of activity with the arrival and departure of couriers and officers including Gens. Edward “Allegheny” Johnson and Richard S. Ewell as well as mapmaker Jedediah Hotchkiss. A major disagreement developed here between Jackson and Col. Turner Ashby over the lack of discipline in the cavalry following a botched attempt to burn bridges in neighboring Page County.

While Jackson was consumed with military affairs, he did not forget his wife, Mary Anna. Unlike in Winchester a few months before, she was unable to join him here. “I do so much want to see my darling,” wrote Jackson, “but fear such a privilege will not be enjoyed for some time to come.”

Within days of leaving Conrad’s Store on April 30, Jackson gave Union observers
Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 27, 2007
2. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House Marker
the impression he had retreated from the Valley. However, in a series of stealthy moves, he reentered the Valley, and by May 8 had attacked and defeated General Robert H. Milroy’s Federal army at McDowell.

(sidebar): This house was built in 1827 by Henry Miller. Jr. (the grandson of Adam Miller, perhaps the first settler in this part of the Shenandoah Valley). Samuel Gibbons, a local resident, performed the joining and carpentry. Gibbons’ son, Simeon Beauford Gibbons, was later a student of Jackson at the Virginia Military Institute and, at the time of Jackson’s stay here, a colonel of the 10th Virginia Infantry, which encamped nearby. Col. Gibbons was the most senior Confederate officer killed at the Battle of McDowell.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 24.542′ N, 78° 36.957′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on East Rockingham Street 0.1 miles east of Stuart Avenue / East Side Highway (U.S. 340), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 East Rockingham Street, Elkton VA 22827, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
1862 Valley Campaign Map image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 4, 2008
3. 1862 Valley Campaign Map
6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jennings House (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Settler (approx. 0.8 miles away); History of Verbena (approx. 3.9 miles away); Shield's Advance & Retreat (approx. 3.9 miles away); Alexander Spotswood Discovers the Valley of the Shenandoah (approx. 5.1 miles away); “Sic Juvat Transcendere Montes” (approx. 5.1 miles away); Knights of the Golden Horseshoe (approx. 5.2 miles away); Shenandoah Iron Works (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elkton.
 
More about this marker. In the upper center the marker displays portraits of Gen. Jackson, Gen. Ewell, Col. Ashby, and and Gen. Johnson.
 
Regarding Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House. This 1827 house is a registered Virginia and National Historic Landmark and is owned by the Elkton Historical Society. Not normally open to the public.
 
Also see . . .  Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House National Register Documentation. (PDF) The application provides additional details about the history of the dwelling. (Submitted on October 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 27, 2007
4. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House and Marker
Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 27, 2007
5. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House
Contemporary photo of Conrad's Store image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, circa 2002
6. Contemporary photo of Conrad's Store
Dining Room, Miller-Kite House and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Linda Walcroft, September 2007
7. Dining Room, Miller-Kite House and Museum
Hallway image. Click for full size.
By Linda Walcroft, September 2007
8. Hallway
Locally the house is known as the Miller-Kite House, Jackson's Headquarters, or the Elkton Museum. It is open to the public on scheduled occasions.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,944 times since then and 172 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   6. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.   7, 8. submitted on , by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement