Kansas City in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Byram's Ford Historic District
has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Site of the
Battle of the Big Blue
October 22 and 23, 1864
Independence to Westport Road
text of small seal:
Howard N. Monnett Memorial
Civil War Round Table - KC
Battle of Westport
Erected by Civil War Roundtable of KC.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 39° 0.985′ N, 94° 31.308′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on E 60th Street 0.2 miles east of Colorado Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kansas City MO 64130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of the Big Blue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Byram's Ford Battlefield (approx. 0.3 miles away); Log House and Defensive Line (approx. half a mile away); Pratt's Artillery Battle of Westport (approx. 0.7 miles away); "Boston" Adams' House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kansas City's First Public Golf Course (approx. 1.2 miles away); Delbert J. Haff (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kansas City.
More about this marker. The marker is located at the western end of the trail that leads to Byram's Ford. Parking is nearby.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Byram's Ford. Wikipedia entry of the Civil War Battle that took place here. (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
2. Battle of Byram's Ford. This is the Civil War Muse Commentary on this stop of a small tour of the area. (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
3. Saving Kansas City's Battlefield. Video from the Civil War Roundtable of Kansas City on efforts of restoring the Byram's Ford Battlefield. (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
4. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. This is the National Register nomination form for the Bryam's Ford (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
5. Civil War Round Table of Kansas City. Link to the Organization that set the marker. (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.