Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era
Side A: The Ohio Oil Company-Marathon Oil Company
Site of the first Findlay Field Office for what was to become a world-wide oil company, formerly locally owned and operated.
1887: The Ohio Oil Company was incorporated by five independent oil producers in the Lima field.
1901: J.C. Donnell elected President of The Ohio Oil Company. Company's big well, the "Hugh McMurray," comes in.
1929: Construction begins on new office building at South Main and Hardin streets.
1962: Name changed to Marathon Oil Company to reflect international operations.
Side B: Gas Boom Era
Four years (1886-1890) changed the course of history in Northwest Ohio, making Findlay an industrial center.
1884: Findlay Natural Gas Company, formed by Dr. Charles Oesterlen, brings in first commercial natural gas well.
1886: Karg Well comes in and Findlay becomes known as the "City of Light."
1887: Free fuel, free light, and free land attracts 31 industries to Findlay.
1888: Findlay becomes known as "Glass Capital of the World."
1890: Natural gas output declines. Oil production increases.
Erected 1987 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-32.)
Marker series. Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 2.357′ N, 83° 39.147′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Cross Street (Ohio Route 12) and Cory Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Cross Street. Click for map. Marker is in front of Central Middle School (former high school). Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W. Main Cross Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hancock County Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (about 400 feet away); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (about 600 feet away); Hancock County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (about 700 feet away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (about 700 feet away); Site of Fort Findlay (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Findlay.
Also see . . .
1. 1888 History of Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Brown's History of Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Marathon Oil Company History. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. Ohio Oil Company. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 2,198 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 5. submitted on . 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.