HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Beltsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ammendale Normal Institute
 
Ammendale Normal Institue Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
1. Ammendale Normal Institue Marker
 
Inscription. This is the site of Ammendale Normal Institute, built to house the novitiate and school of the Christian Brothers, a teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church. It is located in an area known as Ammendale, after Admiral Daniel Ammen, inventor, author and Naval Officer. In 1880, the Christian Brothers purchased this 20-acre property from Admiral Ammen, who earlier that year had donated St. Joseph's Chapel and adjoining land.

The novitiate opened in 1880, and the Ammendale stop on the nearby Baltimore and Ohio Railroad provided easy access to and from both Washington and Baltimore. In the summer of 1883, construction began on the principal Institute building, designed by Baltimore architect Thomas C. Kennedy. One hundred feet in length, this building was completed in December 1884. Construction of the flanking wings, which eventually doubled the length of the building, was begun in the fall of 1886. The completed building, with its mansard roofs, central bell tower and outstanding Queen Anne style decorative detail, was blessed by James Cardinal Gibbons in May, 1888.

The Christian Brothers gradually increased their acreage to 400 acres and, until the 1940's, operated a farm that supplied and supported the school. In 1969, after years of decreasing enrollment, the Institute closed, but the property remained the home
 
Marker and Plaque at Entrance Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
2. Marker and Plaque at Entrance
 
of the retired Brothers. On April 26, 1998, a fire severely damaged the vacant Institute building.
 
Location. 39° 3.028′ N, 76° 53.886′ W. Marker is in Beltsville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) south of Ammendale Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beltsville MD 20705, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Van Horn's Tavern (approx. half a mile away); The First Telegram (approx. 0.7 miles away); Van Horn’s Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Queen’s Chapel Methodist Church, Established 1868 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ebenezer Meeting House (approx. 1.3 miles away); When the Iron was Hot: African America Ironworkers of Muirkirk (approx. 1.5 miles away); Iron Production: Maryland's Industrial Past - The Iron Making Process (approx. 1.5 miles away); Abraham Hall: A Historic African American Benevolent Lodge (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Beltsville.
 
Entrance to Ammendale Normal Institute Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
3. Entrance to Ammendale Normal Institute
 
 
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (now CSX) near site of former Ammendale station. Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
4. Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (now CSX) near site of former Ammendale station.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,307 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 15, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.